Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Plumb wine  (Read 18669 times)

Offline punatic

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Puna District, Hawaii Island (UTC -10)
Re: Plumb wine
« Reply #15 on: June 08, 2012, 09:28:01 pm »
I have probably close to 20 lbs of plumbs (sorry, seems like it should be spelled that way) put them in the freezer  and intend to make the wine next Saturday.

Do they look like this?

There is only one success: to be able to spend your life in your own way.

AHA Life Member #33907

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #16 on: June 08, 2012, 11:49:50 pm »
Pluuuummmmms.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
Plumb wine
« Reply #17 on: June 09, 2012, 06:11:06 am »
I feel plumb dumb.

At least your name isn't Bob. :)

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?uguhpi
Ron Price

Offline tubercle

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Sweet Caroline
« Reply #18 on: June 09, 2012, 06:21:48 am »
Lol. I meant to type "cyanide" and it came out as "carcinogen". More coffee next time.  ;) so, any one ever make a plumb wine before? Thoughts on "grape tannin"?

I have made a lot of plum wine over the years. It's very light so be careful with grape tannin, it will have a bitter after taste if too much is used. It can be "thin" also. A can or 2 of white grape frozen concentrate will help with that (no preservatives!!!).

I make it slightly on the sweet side - just enough so the fruit flavor comes through well.
Sweet Caroline where the Sun rises over the deep blue sea and sets somewhere beyond Tennessee

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #19 on: June 09, 2012, 08:18:09 am »
I have probably close to 20 lbs of plumbs (sorry, seems like it should be spelled that way) put them in the freezer  and intend to make the wine next Saturday.

Do they look like this?

Sorta.

Ya know, I'm starting to think now I know why I got no results on the search.  :o
« Last Edit: June 09, 2012, 08:19:44 am by majorvices »

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
« Reply #20 on: June 09, 2012, 08:21:06 am »

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
« Reply #21 on: June 09, 2012, 08:22:31 am »
Lol. I meant to type "cyanide" and it came out as "carcinogen". More coffee next time.  ;) so, any one ever make a plumb wine before? Thoughts on "grape tannin"?

I have made a lot of plum wine over the years. It's very light so be careful with grape tannin, it will have a bitter after taste if too much is used. It can be "thin" also. A can or 2 of white grape frozen concentrate will help with that (no preservatives!!!).

I make it slightly on the sweet side - just enough so the fruit flavor comes through well.

Thanks, bro. So, should I leave out the tannin? How high SG do you target for yours?

Offline tubercle

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Sweet Caroline
« Reply #22 on: June 09, 2012, 12:53:07 pm »

Thanks, bro. So, should I leave out the tannin? How high SG do you target for yours?

I leave out the tannin. There is enough for me from the plum skins. I target 12.5 - 13%. Thats enough alcohol to preserve it but not to much to make it hot tasting. It ages very well and smooths out nicely in about 6 months.
Sweet Caroline where the Sun rises over the deep blue sea and sets somewhere beyond Tennessee

Offline The Professor

• Brewmaster
  • "In the next life, you're on your own"
« Reply #23 on: June 09, 2012, 01:30:16 pm »
...Most of it would be at least 15 or 20 years old and it had the most amazing port profile of anything I've ever tasted.  I dearly wish I'd been smarter and kept a few cases.  It was fairly sweet (he'd add supplemental sugar) and with the slight oxidation and aging it was fantastic.  It had a lot of sediment but with a careful pour you could get 98% of the wine out of the bottle.  Stupid me tossed it all :(

You tossed it ALL???
That's alcohol abuse.
AL
New Brunswick, NJ
[499.6, 101.2] Apparent Rennerian
Homebrewer since July 1971

Offline Joe Sr.

• Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #24 on: June 10, 2012, 11:05:16 am »
Fun facts to know and share:

Plumbing has its roots in the Latin word plumbum - translation =  lead.  Lead is malleable and the Romans used it for making water pipes.  Hence the atomic symbol for the element lead is Pb.

There you go again with the etymological rants...

I'm tempted to use the cheesy face thing, but I've never used them and don't intend to start.

It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline punatic

• Puna District, Hawaii Island (UTC -10)
« Reply #25 on: June 10, 2012, 01:20:50 pm »
Fun facts to know and share:

Plumbing has its roots in the Latin word plumbum - translation =  lead.  Lead is malleable and the Romans used it for making water pipes.  Hence the atomic symbol for the element lead is Pb.

There you go again with the etymological rants...

I'm tempted to use the cheesy face thing, but I've never used them and don't intend to start.

And I bet you like Japanese plum wine too...   :o

;D
There is only one success: to be able to spend your life in your own way.

AHA Life Member #33907