Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Fermented grapefruit juice  (Read 25994 times)

Offline nateo

• Brewmaster General
Re: Fermented grapefruit juice
« Reply #15 on: June 19, 2012, 10:57:46 am »
Why is it being a douche to seriously consider these things?

Any way I like these flavors too. For some reason I actually like the taste of sweet vermouth in gin or vodka. That's a hell of an intersection. Wine in juice I enjoy- especially the Santos sangria iced down in a glass in front of me right now. I have yet to blend wine and beer but the day is coming.

Considering flavors isn't douchey, I just think it's hard to discuss them without coming off as pretentious or arrogant. I'm thinking more of the molecular gastronomy crowd.

I'm a big fan of sangria too. I haven't had the santos, but if I see it I'll pick some up. Isn't sweet vermouth and gin a negroni? Last night I tried the grapefruit juice with gin, a few dashes of Angostura bitters, and half a lemon. It was pretty darn tasty. The grapefruit juice tastes a lot like a low-alcohol sparkling campari.
In der Kürze liegt die Würze.

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #16 on: June 19, 2012, 11:56:16 am »
I love a well-made negroni! You can find me splashing a little campari in my gin and lime juice. Excellent! Also goes well with vodka.

Hehe we should come up with fermented grapefruit juice drinks! I think sweet red wine and ice to make a sangria-type would be a good place to start!
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline weithman5

• Senior Brewmaster
  • naperville, il
« Reply #17 on: June 19, 2012, 12:16:33 pm »
i don't see why you couldn't use the grape fruit juice to add a bitter flavor to beer instead of so much hops.

i agree with the bud light lime comments and most of the leinenklugels. but i actually like the lieny oktoberfest everything else can go.

i especially don't like their shandy.  i mix my own with GI 312 and carbonated lemonade (about 50-50)over ice.  damn refreshing on a hot summer day.  oh hey, its hot here.  time to pull this one out
Don AHA member

Offline nateo

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #18 on: June 19, 2012, 12:22:07 pm »
i don't see why you couldn't use the grape fruit juice to add a bitter flavor to beer instead of so much hops.

I can see that with a lightly hopped beer, like a wheat or a Berliner Weiss. Maybe even an IPA with citrus-heavy hops, like Erock was mentioning.
In der Kürze liegt die Würze.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
Re: Re: Fermented grapefruit juice
« Reply #19 on: June 21, 2012, 10:58:52 am »

I can see that with a lightly hopped beer, like a wheat or a Berliner Weiss. Maybe even an IPA with citrus-heavy hops, like Erock was mentioning.

Maybe an APA with nothing but late additions and dry hops. Shoot for a low IBU for the style and then add the grapefruit wine to taste after fermentation is done before kegging/bottling so you can shoot for a balanced bitterness. Instant fruit bomb?
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer