Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: curing meat  (Read 17428 times)

Offline Robert

• Assistant Brewer
  • Arlington, TX
Re: curing meat
« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2012, 08:40:33 am »

Two pounds pork belly- pancetta stresa started 6/29/12. Can't wait to cut into this one. I could do it now but will wait another week. Used the recipe from Charcuterie. I just couldn't bring myself to hang it at ambient temp though. Co-opted the kegerator for the drying!

Cost me about $5. Try buying it for that price at the store.

Euge,

Where are you getting pork belly for <$3/lb? Can't find it in Dallas for anything less than $4.
"In three things is a man revealed: in his wine goblet, in his purse, and in his wrath."

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #16 on: July 25, 2012, 09:01:04 am »

Two pounds pork belly- pancetta stresa started 6/29/12. Can't wait to cut into this one. I could do it now but will wait another week. Used the recipe from Charcuterie. I just couldn't bring myself to hang it at ambient temp though. Co-opted the kegerator for the drying!

Cost me about $5. Try buying it for that price at the store.

Euge,

Where are you getting pork belly for <$3/lb? Can't find it in Dallas for anything less than $4.

Have you tried an Asian market? The one by my house gets it on Thursdays and charge $2.50/#.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline Robert

• Assistant Brewer
  • Arlington, TX
« Reply #17 on: July 25, 2012, 09:05:00 am »

Have you tried an Asian market? The one by my house gets it on Thursdays and charge $2.50/#.

I have not...thank you.
"In three things is a man revealed: in his wine goblet, in his purse, and in his wrath."

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #18 on: July 26, 2012, 12:07:50 am »
Did you see Ruhlman is coming out with another charcuterie book?  Salumi, I think it's called. 

Ooooh?! (rubs hands together)
Yeah, that is really exciting!  They have it listed on amazon already.
http://www.amazon.com/Salumi-The-Craft-Italian-Curing/dp/0393068595/
Tom Schmidlin

Offline euge

• I must live here
« Reply #19 on: July 26, 2012, 08:30:57 am »
Did you see Ruhlman is coming out with another charcuterie book?  Salumi, I think it's called. 

Not released yet though. I'll snap that up when it is. I'd like to get a first printing.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #20 on: July 27, 2012, 12:55:38 am »

Not released yet though. I'll snap that up when it is. I'd like to get a first printing.
You can pre-order it, that should get you a first print, right?
Tom Schmidlin

Offline euge

• I must live here
« Reply #21 on: July 27, 2012, 01:06:12 am »
Good point. Ordered.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2012, 01:08:08 am by euge »