Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Dregs harvesting  (Read 8656 times)

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
Dregs harvesting
« on: June 08, 2012, 10:08:19 pm »
I have 2 quick questions on harvesting yeast from the dregs of a commercial beer:

1) I know you would typically brew a lower gravity beer if you're planning on pitching on its yeast cake to avoid stressing the yeast. Do you run into this issue with commercial beers? Am I better off using the lowest ABV beer from a brewery if I want to ranch their yeast?

2) I'm a huge Unibroue fan and I'd like to harvest their yeast. Their website mentions that they add yeast at bottling. Does anyone know if they use their house strain for this? I don't want to harvest the dregs from some Maudite or Trois Pistoles only to find that it is actually champagne yeast they bottle with (or something of that sort)
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline bboy9000

• Brewmaster
  • KCMO
Re: Dregs harvesting
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2012, 10:56:33 pm »
I have thought about harvesting yeast from Boulevard Brewing here in KCMO (once I purchase my Erlenmeyer flask that is).  I have read on other websites that the yeast used to bottle condition may be a different strain than what the commercial brewer used for primary fermentation.  On a recent tour to the Boulevard Brewery I asked one of the brewers about this.  He told me the strain Boulevard uses for bottle conditioning is the same as for fermentation, but because a homebrewer would only getting such a small amount from the bottle, the characteristics of the strain may change when trying to harvest it.  Just another thing you may want to consider.
Brian
mobrewer

Offline Mark G

• Brewmaster
  • Huntley, IL
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2012, 07:30:41 am »
1. Yes, using the lowest gravity beer would be the best bet.

2. Don't quote me on this, because I can't remember the source, but I believe they bottle-condition with a Brett strain. So unless they filter prior to bottling, you'll have a mix of strains from the dregs.
Mark Gres

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2012, 07:53:12 am »
If you want Unibroue yeast, it's WY3864.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline snowtiger87

• Brewer
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2012, 12:20:23 pm »
I don't think Unibroue bottle conditions with brett. I would be amazed if that were true. Still, I am with Deny. Juts buy it from Wyeast.
Brewing since 1989 - BJCP National Rank
Member of KROC and Foam on the Range

Fermenting: Double IPA
Conditioning: Saison du Potiron
On tap: Cider, Cream Ale, Bock, Rye Dunkel Doppelbock, Celebration Clone, Imperial Stout

Offline jamminbrew

• Brewmaster
  • theAntipunk
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2012, 01:23:27 pm »
The only problem is that this strain is seasonal, and it's not even listed on the wyeast website right now. I really want to get this yeast, but can't ever find it. :(
In caelo cerivisiae nil, hic igitur bibimus.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2012, 07:33:55 pm »
The only problem is that this strain is seasonal, and it's not even listed on the wyeast website right now. I really want to get this yeast, but can't ever find it. :(

Someone on another forum got an email from Wyeast saying it was scheduled for the 4th quarter of 2012.
Eric B.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Dregs harvesting
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2012, 07:41:00 pm »
Well, there ya go!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Joe Sr.

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2012, 11:10:31 am »
I say give it a shot.  I've had good luck harvesting from dregs by pouring a small amount of wort directly into the bottle and stepping it up slowly.

That said, I'll be buying some of the Wyeast strain when it's available.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline jmcamerlengo

• Brewmaster
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2012, 09:21:27 am »
I recall an interview with the brewer of Unibroue and he mentioned that they bottle condition with a different strain than they ferment with. Ive been waiting for Wyeast to release it myself!
Jason
-Head Brewer, Brewtus Brewers in the Shenango Valley. Hopefully opening a brewpub/nano brewery in the next couple years.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2012, 09:27:55 pm »
For a seasonal release such as this, what would have a better shelf-life for brewing off season (like 6+ months down the line) - brewing a low-gravity Belgian Pale and saving some bombers to culture up the dregs, or just stash away an extra vial and plan on stepping it up a few times?
Eric B.

Offline gmac

• Brewmaster General
  • London, Ontario
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2012, 09:34:45 pm »

Someone on another forum got an email from Wyeast saying it was scheduled for the 4th quarter of 2012.
Not sure about another forum but I talked to them and posted on this forum that it would be available in October of this year.

Offline Joe Sr.

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2012, 08:33:52 am »
For a seasonal release such as this, what would have a better shelf-life for brewing off season (like 6+ months down the line) - brewing a low-gravity Belgian Pale and saving some bombers to culture up the dregs, or just stash away an extra vial and plan on stepping it up a few times?

Of those two options, I'd probably go with an extra smack pack to step up later.

What I've found in re-culturing dregs is that the yeast isn't as flocculant as the original pitch.  Not that big of a deal, as you can always use finings, but definitely a different performance.  YMMV.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline Hokerer

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Manassas, VA
« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2012, 09:36:30 am »

Or just whip up a few slants, streak each of them from the smack pack, and keep 'em in the fridge.  Pull one out whenever you want that yeast.  I've gone as long as two years that way and who knows how much longer I could have gone.
Joe

Offline garc_mall

• Brewmaster
  • [1892.9, 294.9deg] AR Lynnwood, WA
« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2012, 10:48:06 am »
What I would do is just take the yeast from primary, wash it, and put it in the back of the fridge. You should have 2 pint jars or so, and those will last quite a while in your fridge, and then step those up (which would be significantly easier than stepping up dregs or a slant) if its been a couple weeks. You will get some drift, but it shouldn't be too bad over 4-5 generations.