Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Raisin Flavors  (Read 12909 times)

Offline miguelpanderland

• Cellarman
  • Glendale, WI
Raisin Flavors
« on: June 11, 2012, 09:24:45 am »
I'm starting to think of brewing a beer that has raisin type flavors.  Any suggestions on how this can be achieved?

Offline jmcamerlengo

• Brewmaster
Re: Raisin Flavors
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2012, 09:32:08 am »
Special B tastes like raisins to me. 4-8 oz per 5 gallons is plenty. I think Mort also has done a rum raisin stout where he soaked raisins in rum. Im sure hell chime in!
Jason
-Head Brewer, Brewtus Brewers in the Shenango Valley. Hopefully opening a brewpub/nano brewery in the next couple years.

Offline dbeechum

• Global Moderator
  • I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Pasadena, CA
    • Experimental Brewing
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2012, 09:33:40 am »
Special B (in moderation) - lots of raisins and plum

Dark Candi Syrup - Like the D1/D2 stuff from Dark Candi Inc or the new American made stuff - incredibly rich and wonderful

Raisins - :) - I just did a beer earlier this year where I threw a bunch of rum soaked raisins in the boil. Threw a haze, but you could definitely taste the raisins.
Drew Beechum - Maltosefalcons.com
- Vote in the AHA GC Election! - http://bit.ly/1aV9GVd  -
-----
Burbling:
Gnome is in the Details
*Experimental Brewing - The Book*
Tap:
Peanut Butter Jelly Time
Tupelo Mead
Farmhouse Brett Saison

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2012, 10:03:08 am »
Yeah, depending on the beer style, actually using raisins can work great.  I've added chopped golden raisins to the secondary of a BGSA.  In a BDSA, I waited til the end of primary, then caramelized some raisins in a red hot wok.  Deglazed with some beer from primary, then added it all to the secondary.  That works great with figs, too. 
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2012, 10:08:52 am »
Special B tastes like raisins to me. 4-8 oz per 5 gallons is plenty. I think Mort also has done a rum raisin stout where he soaked raisins in rum. Im sure hell chime in!

not I. I do remember discussion of rum raisin brew though. can't remember who it was. seem to remember that it was served in the hospitality suite at last years NHC if that helps for searching.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline mabrungard

• Water matters!
    • Bru'n Water
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2012, 10:17:39 am »
Yes, Special B in MODERATION.  I had the fortune (misfortune?) of judging a couple of beers in the Strong Ale category at this year at Indy's NHC first round.  In years past, I had heard that you could overdo Special B and those beers at the NHC were the first that exhibited that fault so strongly. 

I can tell you it is far better to underdo the Special B addition and still enjoy a very drinkable yet less remarkable beer than to overdo it and have something you would have to blend to drink!  Train your palate and recipe formulation over the course of a few batches.  I'd say that the amount listed above would be a good starting point.
Martin B
Carmel, IN

BJCP National
Foam Blowers of Indiana (FBI)

Brewing Water Information at:
https://www.brunwater.com/

Like Bru'n Water on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/Brun-Water-464551136933908/?ref=bookmarks

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2012, 10:30:13 am »
I agree that Special B will lend a "raisiny" flavor.  I've also found C120 to lend a similar flavor.  I will resonate the suggestion to be easy with these darker crystal malts as you can really overdo it with a heavy hand. I've also gotten some of the darker fruit character in my Dopplebock recipe using mostly Dark Munich with some Carafa for color.
Ron Price

Offline tomsawyer

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2012, 01:13:17 pm »
What is the result of overdoing it?  Something that has a metallic kind of taste?
Lennie
Hannibal, MO

Offline dbeechum

• Global Moderator
  • Pasadena, CA
    • Experimental Brewing
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2012, 01:48:40 pm »
It just becomes too much.. too sweet.. too cloying.. too smoky, etc. It doesn't clear out of the way cleanly.
-----
Burbling:
Gnome is in the Details
Tap:
Peanut Butter Jelly Time
Tupelo Mead
Farmhouse Brett Saison

Offline kgs

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Sonoma County, CA
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2012, 05:25:36 pm »
A Raison D'etre clone was one of my first partial-mash batches. I think it was like this:

http://www.beertools.com/html/recipe.php?view=6995

It might have been very good if the airlock hadn't become blocked with raisin pieces during a vigorous fermentation. I did teach myself how to mop a ceiling. There wasn't enough left to warrant keeping. If I ever brew with raisins again, I will probably add them near the end of fermentation.
K.G. Schneider
AHA Member

Offline tom

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Denver, CO
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2012, 06:28:08 pm »
How much raisins do you guys use?
Brew on

Offline dbeechum

• Global Moderator
  • Pasadena, CA
    • Experimental Brewing
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2012, 11:26:03 pm »
I did a pound of raisins soaked in a pint of rum for 3 days for 20 minutes of the boil in a hop sack. And that was for a 30 gallon batch. It was pretty intense.
-----
Burbling:
Gnome is in the Details
Tap:
Peanut Butter Jelly Time
Tupelo Mead
Farmhouse Brett Saison

Offline kylekohlmorgen

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Saint Louis, MO
    • The South House Pilot Brewery
« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2012, 08:13:11 am »
A Raison D'etre clone was one of my first partial-mash batches. I think it was like this:

http://www.beertools.com/html/recipe.php?view=6995

It might have been very good if the airlock hadn't become blocked with raisin pieces during a vigorous fermentation. I did teach myself how to mop a ceiling. There wasn't enough left to warrant keeping. If I ever brew with raisins again, I will probably add them near the end of fermentation.

THIS beer is my vote! Raisin is just one of the many flavors/aromas that this beer has to offer. Dark spiced rum, pear, cherry, and some dark caramel sweetness (its fresh in my mind - I just had one with dinner last night)

I think its one of the best food beers in commercial production (that isn't a saison). It goes great with steak, korean-short ribs, beer cheese soup, Christmas ham... basically anything you would pair with a Bordeaux or Burgundy.

OK - Rant over. I just REALLY miss DFH in Indiana!
Twitter/Instagram: @southhousebrew

Recipes, Brett/Bacteria Experiments: http://SouthHouseBeer.com/

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2012, 11:39:27 am »
How much raisins do you guys use?

I use a lb. or ,slightly more for the caramelization trick.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline nateo

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2012, 02:47:56 pm »
Do you guys get any noticeable tannins from using grapes? I just did a batch where I used 1/2lb of golden raisings, run through the blender. It's still early days, but I picked up a bit of chewy astringency when I tasted the hydrometer sample.
In der Kürze liegt die Würze.