Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Oxygen absorbing caps...  (Read 9984 times)

Offline ccfoo242

• Brewmaster
  • I drank what? - Socrates
Oxygen absorbing caps...
« on: June 13, 2012, 08:54:48 am »
Should they look different underneath than normal caps?  I bought some online and they arrived in an unmarked bag and don't seem any different.  Feel like I bought the Emporer's New Caps.

-Sent from the future.
Intra cervisiam est deus.

Offline beersk

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • In the night!
Re: Oxygen absorbing caps...
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2012, 09:06:41 am »
They're always silver, otherwise, I'm not sure how you tell.
Jesse

Offline DrewG

• Brewer
  • Thread Killer
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2012, 12:06:34 pm »

+1
"Well, the Mexicans got a saying - what cannot be remedied must be endured."

-Barbarosa

Offline gogreen437

• Cellarman
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2012, 12:18:42 pm »
Not sure if they are supposed to do this, but I have noticed since using them that they form a little indented circle in the middle of the cap (akin to a snapple or lipton iced tea top) when you cap them that I never noticed when using other bottle caps.

Offline nateo

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2012, 06:10:58 am »
I just buy the "regular" caps since they're like 1/2 the price at my LHBS vs the O2 absorbing caps. I'm having a hard time seeing how they could be an advantage if you're bottle conditioning. Wouldn't the yeast eat whatever O2 you might introduce during bottling? I guess if you're bottling from a keg the caps might make a small difference. In any case, after they're capped, the bottles aren't 100% sealed. They can still allow air to get in, albeit very very very slowly.
In der Kürze liegt die Würze.

Offline theDarkSide

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Derry, NH
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2012, 06:51:21 am »

Get about 2000 of them and close yourself in a small room then wet them.  If you can't breathe, then they are the right ones.   ;D

Are people putting these caps on without sanitizing?  I'm not crazy about that idea but there's talk if you sanitize them, then by the time you put them on the bottle, they have lost their O2 absorbing ability.
Seacoast Homebrew Club - Portsmouth, NH
AHA Member
Stephen Mayo
------------------------------------------------

Offline tygo

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Sterling, VA
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2012, 07:36:11 am »
I don't think they absorb oxygen that fast.   Give'em a short dunk in startsan before using them and they should be fine.
Clint
Wort Hogs

Offline ccfoo242

• Brewmaster
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2012, 09:35:00 am »
I got them for a beer I plan to age for a while. I'm going to bottle a few with "normal" caps as a control and see if I notice a difference after 6 months.

Offline tom

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Denver, CO
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2012, 10:27:53 am »
I just buy the "regular" caps since they're like 1/2 the price at my LHBS vs the O2 absorbing caps. I'm having a hard time seeing how they could be an advantage if you're bottle conditioning. Wouldn't the yeast eat whatever O2 you might introduce during bottling? I guess if you're bottling from a keg the caps might make a small difference. In any case, after they're capped, the bottles aren't 100% sealed. They can still allow air to get in, albeit very very very slowly.
I believe the yeast only uses ~ 40% of the O2.  The caps are also supposed to limit the amount of O2 that diffuses through the cap.
Cap on foam.
+1 on the Kai Troester Fan Club.
Brew on

Offline ccfoo242

• Brewmaster
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2012, 11:04:05 am »
So am I NOT supposed to use them if I bottle condition?

Offline garc_mall

• Brewmaster
  • [1892.9, 294.9deg] AR Lynnwood, WA
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2012, 11:07:09 am »

Get about 2000 of them and close yourself in a small room then wet them.  If you can't breathe, then they are the right ones.   ;D

Are people putting these caps on without sanitizing?  I'm not crazy about that idea but there's talk if you sanitize them, then by the time you put them on the bottle, they have lost their O2 absorbing ability.

Somewhere around 2-3 years ago, James from Basic Brewing Radio asked the producer of the O2 absorbing caps about that, and he said that the reaction is very slow, and after they get wet, it takes about 24 hours before they start the O2 absorption. So as long as you only sanitize the caps you are going to use, you will not have a problem with the caps losing their ability.

and ccfoo, they work fine for bottle conditioning.

Offline ccfoo242

• Brewmaster
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2012, 12:08:05 pm »

and ccfoo, they work fine for bottle conditioning.

Thanks.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2012, 01:23:44 pm »
There is a serious dearth of reliable information regarding the O2 caps out there. I emailed a couple of manufacturers/distributors looking for info/spec sheets on their O2 caps. If I get any responses I'll be sure to share.

FWIW, I don't mind spending a little extra $ for the peace of mind. My SOP is to put them in a bucket of Star San right before I start bottling. They're probably wet for about 1/2 hour or so. I have a hard time believing that's going to be enough to kill their O2 absorbing properties, but if I have to choose between sanitizer or O2 absorption, Star San is going to win every time.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer