Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Imperial Pilsner - advice/suggestions?  (Read 5310 times)

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
Imperial Pilsner - advice/suggestions?
« on: June 24, 2012, 08:41:26 pm »
Does anyone have any suggestions on how to approach an "Imperial" Pilsner? I'm thinking something like an amped-up, hoppy BoPils style. My initial idea is OG in the 1.070-1.075 range and about 50 IBU's. Here are a couple of questions that came to mind:

For those of you who use Munich in your Pilsners (as opposed to 100% Pilsner malt), would you keep the same percentage of Munich in a scaled-up version, the same by weight, or use less overall since the total malt bill is bigger and you might not need as much of that grainy character from the Munich?

Would you consider drying it out with some simple sugars (like you would with an IIPA), or is it OK to end up with a higher FG?

My inital stab at a recipe would be 85% Pils malt (or DME), 10% Munich, 5% Sucrose. 30 IBU's at 90 minutes, 20 IBU's at 15 minutes, a solid flameout addition, and about 2 oz of dry hops. Thinking of using a combo of Ultra and Motueka for the hops.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline andrew000141

• Assistant Brewer
Imperial Pilsner - advice/suggestions?
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2012, 09:11:54 pm »
There was a similar topic awhile ago in allgrain, but yes you would scale the Munich. As for sugars I would add a bit for dryness 75og to 50 ibus is a little malty for a pils isn't it?(I don't really brew many pilsners and when I do it's someone else's recipe)
Fermenting:
Cherry melomel

In Kegs:
Saison
Irish Red
Thanksgiving Cider
Rye Pale Ale
IIPA
Ayinger Maibock clone
Moose drool clone

Bottles:
Mead

Keep your nose out of trouble and no trouble will come to you

Offline kylekohlmorgen

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Saint Louis, MO
    • The South House Pilot Brewery
Re: Imperial Pilsner - advice/suggestions?
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2012, 06:51:31 am »
I wouldn't use plain table sugar b/c unlike a IIPA you don't have the hops to hide the cidery "twang" (think malt liquor). You could try flaked corn, rice syrup/solids, etc. You could also use some 6-row malt for additional diastatic power. Mash low.

DME will probably give you too much unfermentable sugars for the dryness you're looking for in an imperial pils.

Dryhop with something noble. I love that character in big pilsners!

"Designing Great Beers" gives a BU:GU ratio of 0.75-0.85, so bumping up that IBU to 60 or so will get you in that range for a 1.075 OG. Soft water and noble hops will give clean and soft bitterness, so don't be shy with the bittering hops - my favorite part of a pils is that snap.

Twitter/Instagram: @southhousebrew

Recipes, Brett/Bacteria Experiments: http://SouthHouseBeer.com/

Offline Hokerer

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Manassas, VA
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2012, 01:58:04 pm »
I wouldn't use plain table sugar b/c unlike a IIPA you don't have the hops to hide the cidery "twang" (think malt liquor). You could try flaked corn, rice syrup/solids, etc.

He's only talking about 5% sucrose, very seriously doubt that's gonna yield and cideriness.
Joe

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2012, 02:18:47 pm »
I have only had 1 imerial pilsner, My Antonia from DFH. It was lovely. for sure maltier, sweeter, and richer than a 'normal' pilsner. Don't know if they use any sugar or just go for a really low mash temp to maximize fermentability. It's not cloying but its not what I would call light and refreshing either. very hoppy as well.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline kylekohlmorgen

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Saint Louis, MO
    • The South House Pilot Brewery
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2012, 08:22:42 am »
I have only had 1 imerial pilsner, My Antonia from DFH. It was lovely. for sure maltier, sweeter, and richer than a 'normal' pilsner. Don't know if they use any sugar or just go for a really low mash temp to maximize fermentability. It's not cloying but its not what I would call light and refreshing either. very hoppy as well.

I almost mentioned this as an example, but didn't since he mentioned the more traditional BoPils style.

Its one of my favorites from DFH (which is saying a lot). It showcases noble hops better than any other beer I'm familiar with.
Twitter/Instagram: @southhousebrew

Recipes, Brett/Bacteria Experiments: http://SouthHouseBeer.com/

Offline onthekeg

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2012, 10:09:10 am »
I would use sterling for this beer IMHO.