Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Need a Recipe for Mukgulli  (Read 3177 times)

Offline harbicide

• Cellarman
  • Barkeeper's Friend will not passivate stainless.
Need a Recipe for Mukgulli
« on: June 27, 2012, 03:43:19 pm »
I work with a Korean who I try to educate about beer.  He mentioned to me rice wine in Korea and it sounds intriguing.
On Tap: 10 yr old Barleywine, Porter, Vienna Lager

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
Re: Need a Recipe for Mukgulli
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2012, 03:57:15 pm »
google was at a loss with MukGulli. found makgeolli though. I would start with looking up how Saki is made, the process of extracting the sugars from unmalted rice and wheat involves a fungal product that can be found at many HBS or online.

I'm intrigued. keep this thread up todate with what happens with this project!
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline garc_mall

• Brewmaster
  • [1892.9, 294.9deg] AR Lynnwood, WA
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2012, 10:07:49 pm »
Makgeoli, or Mukgulli, or whatever you want to call it is a rice beer. Its really not like sake at all, more like some wierd, slightly sour, fermented rice water. I found a korean website for making Makgeoli, and here is the google translate for it. Give me a few days, and I will give you a better translation that you can understand.

Supplies

A. Materials

Rice: 2kg (approximately 1 be).

Yeast: 400g (20% of rice weight)

Yeast: Approx 5g (dry yeast)

Water: 3.2L (160% of the weight of rice)

Two. Tools

Jars, jjipsot, cotton cloth, body and other kitchen containers.

●. Cart

A. Rice called the

* Rice (2kg basis) for 3 hours and then washed well with water is called. When the building clean wash baphal more than rice

Is recommended.

* Soaked rice in a colander for 1 hour rescue mulkkireul subtract a couple.

Water absorption rate of 30% of rice fire rice jeongdoni 2.6kg weight is approximate.

Two. Cooked rice, build

* Add water to jjimsot batchimteul kkanda Place a cotton cloth over it.

* Put rice in a cotton cloth wrapped over the steam lid closed.

* 1 hour outside and steaming, lightly steamed, and then by 20 minutes or so long to fire deulinda.

Three. Prepare the yeast

* Lumps in a mortar, grind the yeast. Grind a little bold.

Four. Add wine

* Expand the cooked rice through, loose cloth, reversing much of the warm and cool temperatures.

* Moderately large bowl, pour in the cooked rice, cooked rice, ppatahseo have prepared and evenly pour the yeast mix 400g

Neunda.

* This 3,2 liters of water poured on dry yeast (yeast) 5g is also added and well mixed.

* This is poured into a pot covered with a rubber band strapped hanjina cloth tie.

Covered with a rubber band instead of one thousand vinyl hanjina dongyeomaego as toothpicks can leave a hole is drilled 3-5.

70% of the jar is filled with a material size is adequate.

* Fermentation temperature of 25 degrees and should not exceed 32 degrees. If the temperature is too high acetic acid fermentation occurs

Can not good.

In winter, the temperature of the interior dwelling is suitable enough.

* 5 ~ 7 days of fermentation period is appropriate. At the end of fermentation that occurs on the surface of the alcohol down the bubble genie two

Georeunda when.

5 Leach

* Multi Cheraw georeunda a drink. Bulk of the alcohol concentration is 10-17 degrees.

Dilute with water according to your preference georeunda proper Raceway.

In general, juice and water so georeunda 1:1 ~ 1:1.5. Is diluted according to your preference.

* Depending on the sugar, a sign the completed Takju cheomgahae is no drinking. The end.

Offline lornemagill

• Assistant Brewer
  • Austin/Round Rock, TX
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2012, 10:21:48 pm »
try looking up what the natives make in hawaii, it may help.  i was recently in okinawa and they have a drink called awamodi that may be similar and available if you live in a city with a large japanese population

Offline harbicide

• Cellarman
  • Barkeeper's Friend will not passivate stainless.
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2012, 10:27:14 am »
Makgeoli, or Mukgulli, or whatever you want to call it is a rice beer. Its really not like sake at all, more like some wierd, slightly sour, fermented rice water. I found a korean website for making Makgeoli, and here is the google translate for it. Give me a few days, and I will give you a better translation that you can understand.

The website would be good enough.  I'll make my friend translate.
On Tap: 10 yr old Barleywine, Porter, Vienna Lager

Offline garc_mall

• Brewmaster
  • [1892.9, 294.9deg] AR Lynnwood, WA
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2012, 10:28:06 pm »
http://blog.daum.net/eunsuk8878/6362184

this is the blog I found. I just searched "how to make Makgeoli" in Korean.