Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: A Foam Gene?  (Read 1926 times)

Offline Pawtucket Patriot

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Rebelling against cheap swill since 2005
    • Bauhaus Brew Labs
A Foam Gene?
« on: November 14, 2012, 08:52:29 am »
http://www.npr.org/blogs/thesalt/2012/11/14/164958972/raise-a-toast-to-building-better-beer-bubbles-through-chemistry

I'm no scientist, but I have a hard time believing that a yeast gene is responsible for a beer's head.  I've always thought that there were multiple factors at work in determining head retention, most of which are completely unrelated to yeast.
Matt Schwandt | Minneapolis, MN
AHA Member

Partial-Mash Pictorial
All-Grain Pictorial

Offline Slowbrew

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
Re: A Foam Gene?
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2012, 09:20:59 am »
I am not a scientist either but I think the researcher was likely dumbing down the details to make the reporters feel like they understood the findings.  How yeast processes the huge number of compounds in wort will certainly have an effect on every aspect of a beer.  The presence or dominance of a single gene may very well contribute foam stability but I don't see it as the only factor.  If the compounds the gene acts on aren't there you won't get any foam. 

It's interesting that people are working on this type of thing and that they made a connection that could useful in the industry.  I'll still add a little wheat to my grain bill if I need a bit more foam forthe time being.

All of this is IMHO, of course.

Paul

Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?

Offline Pawtucket Patriot

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Rebelling against cheap swill since 2005
    • Bauhaus Brew Labs
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2012, 09:28:00 am »
How yeast processes the huge number of compounds in wort will certainly have an effect on every aspect of a beer.

Good point.  Hadn't thought of it like that. 

Matt Schwandt | Minneapolis, MN
AHA Member

Partial-Mash Pictorial
All-Grain Pictorial

Offline dimik

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2012, 11:36:32 am »
Yeah I have the original publication from October 31 of this year. The study was done with weihenstephan lager strain for comparison. Since lager and ale yeast are different species, it raises the question whether or not it's also true for ales. Still interesting. I was planning to do a little homebrewer-friendly digest of that material in the upcoming weeks.
Check out BKYeast for my yeast ranching adventures and home lab!

Primary: Braggot, Petite Saison, Porter, Herbal IPA

On Tap: RyeIPA