Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Hiking around Seattle  (Read 3021 times)

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
Hiking around Seattle
« on: June 14, 2012, 08:10:16 am »
I'll be at NHC and have all day Sunday and Monday. Looking for some serious day hikes, 4-12 miles, preferably loops.

Offline garc_mall

• Brewmaster
  • [1892.9, 294.9deg] AR Lynnwood, WA
Re: Hiking around Seattle
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2012, 11:35:41 am »
Mount Si is a pretty nice hike, about a 20 or so minute drive east of Bellevue. If you need a beer to quench your thirst at the end, the Snoqualmie brewery is reasonably close.

This is a link to the Washington Trails Association, which maintains a large list of trails, and maintains quite a few of them. The link I selected is for the area called "Issaquah Alps." All of those trails are within a 20 minute drive east of Seattle. They have driving directions on the trail page as well.

Offline aa7yy

• Cellarman
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2012, 12:25:53 pm »
The other thought is that it doesn't look like the weather will be real great next week. May be instead of some "wilderness" hikes you could do some exploring in Seattle that could cover some miles and give you some "hideouts" from the weather. Not "wilderness" but you could take the bus out to Golden Gardens and walk back on the Burke Gillman trail. Or how about walk from Redhook to Mac & Jacks on the Sammamish trails. If I remember right the U of W campus is the largest or one of the larges single campuses in the US.

The transit  system is really pretty good for out and back. Not wilderness, but maybe drier and warmer.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2012, 01:51:50 pm »
Thanks for the suggestions guys. Has to be storming pretty hard to scare me off, but we shall see. All options on the table, including being too hung over to function on my feet.  :o

Offline BrewingRover

• Brewmaster
  • Brewing in Flossmoor, IL
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2012, 03:43:25 pm »
Discovery Park is another good choice for in the city.  Walk out to the lighthouse and you get some great views, depending on the weather.

http://www.seattle.gov/parks/environment/discovery.htm
It's such a fine line between stupid and clever.

Offline garc_mall

• Brewmaster
  • [1892.9, 294.9deg] AR Lynnwood, WA
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2012, 04:37:36 pm »
On Sunday, you could "Hike" around the Washington Brewers fest, Marymoor park is about 10 minutes from the hotel.

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2012, 01:43:43 am »
I highly recommend Cougar Mountain.  There are multiple trailheads with a lot of interconnecting trails and interesting things to see on the trails, not just viewpoints but remnants of the old mining town in the area.  Some trails are wide and practically paved, other are more narrow, but all are well cared for.  You can pick your own path and devise your own loop.  When I go with my kids we go for more like 4 or 5 miles, but you can make it as long as you like.   Trail junctions are well marked, and maps are available at the trailhead (there's a limited amount, but there has always been one for us if I forget).  It's part of the Issaquah Alps that garc mentioned, and not far from the Issaquah Brewhouse - a Rogue place with good food (and beer of course).
http://www.kingcounty.gov/recreation/parks/trails/backcountry/cougar_trails.aspx
http://your.kingcounty.gov/ftp/gis/Web/VMC/recreation/BCT_CougarMtn_brochure.pdf (trail map on 2nd page)
Tom Schmidlin