Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Ok, so I gotta situation here...  (Read 12125 times)

Offline kraftwerk

• Assistant Brewer
Re: Ok, so I gotta situation here...
« Reply #15 on: May 04, 2012, 11:23:10 am »
thanks for the suggestions! Looks like I'll cut the existing grain bill in half and boost it with pils and wheat. Might still use the Hefe yeast and make a "schwartzweiss." I'll keep y'all posted. This could be interesting
!
Beer is like music. I don't have a favorite. I'll take a well-made example of any style!

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #16 on: May 04, 2012, 11:50:14 am »
thanks for the suggestions! Looks like I'll cut the existing grain bill in half and boost it with pils and wheat. Might still use the Hefe yeast and make a "schwartzweiss." I'll keep y'all posted. This could be interesting
!

If you do go for the Hefe, let me recommend WY3638 for yeast. It's got some pretty bold flavor that worked really well in my last dunkelweizen and should hold up pretty well against your grain bill. Plus it has a nice vanilla phenolic that plays nice with the roasted grains.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #17 on: May 04, 2012, 11:58:46 am »
!

I think it'll be acrid and dominate your brew with the 1.75# of Blackprinz still in there. That is a whole lot of black specialty malt. And you'll need to condition it a long time- maybe 6 months at least.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline weithman5

• Senior Brewmaster
  • naperville, il
« Reply #18 on: May 04, 2012, 12:04:59 pm »
Ok, I had my head in my ass today.

A fairly common malady - often refered to as anal-cranial inversion.

i have a body sized tuning fork. wedge the prongs between shoulders and ass cheeks, reach between your legs and pull.  Note if you are also a wobbly headed oaf or fleshy headed mutant (thank you strange brew) you may need someone to hook the handle to their truck and pull.
Don AHA member

Offline gandelf

• Assistant Brewer
  • Mill Creek Brewery, Temptation Rd
« Reply #19 on: May 06, 2012, 01:06:08 pm »
Kraftwerk; so is it cling clang brewery then? That brings back
some memories. I'm going to dig out some vinyl.
Religion; A contrived security blanked for a species that is currently in its adolescent phase of its evolutionary journey.

Offline kraftwerk

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #20 on: May 06, 2012, 07:05:02 pm »
Kraftwerk; so is it cling clang brewery then? That brings back
some memories. I'm going to dig out some vinyl.

Yep, I drive the Autobahn to work every day blasting German techno whilst drinking steins of dopplebock. 
Beer is like music. I don't have a favorite. I'll take a well-made example of any style!

Offline kraftwerk

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #21 on: June 16, 2012, 05:51:27 pm »
*UPDATE*

Thanks for all the suggestions, everyone. I actually learned a lot about brewing with this one! I ended up taking about 1/4 existing grain bill (including the Blackprinz) and cut it with wheat and pale. Used American hops and WY3068. Kegged with 3/4 cup priming sugar. It now resembles a really clean, smooth wheat stout. I dialed up the hops a little higher than I would for a Dunkel (the original planned beer) and it balanced out perfectly. I'm super excited about this one!

Here's the recipe: http://www.homebrewersassociation.org/forum/index.php?topic=12521.0.

Thanks again!
« Last Edit: June 18, 2012, 05:35:12 pm by kraftwerk »