Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Tips on aging hops  (Read 3967 times)

Offline tjleitch

• 1st Kit
Tips on aging hops
« on: June 15, 2012, 04:27:41 am »
After a typical brewday I usually have a small amount of pellet hops left over and just throw them out, but was wondering if anyone had any thoughts on whether I could save those unused hops and age them for a lambic down the road.

If I kept a tupperware container in my fridge where I chucked any leftover hop pellets from my brewdays, would they keep and age? Are pellets a non-starter for aging anyway, due to the effects of processing? Is the better environment for aging somewhere warm and dry?

Apologies if this has been covered in another thread elsewhere.

Offline Jimmy K

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Delaware
Re: Tips on aging hops
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2012, 07:35:36 am »
I'd keep them in a freezer until you have enough and you're ready to use them, then put them all in a paper bag and store at room temp for a few weeks. I have no idea about pellets, I'm sure they can work, but they may need more aging time.
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline DrewG

• Brewer
  • Thread Killer
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2012, 09:03:38 am »
In Gordon Strong's book he recommends putting them in glass jars, purging with c02 and freezing. He says they will last better than a year and keep their freshness that way.
"Well, the Mexicans got a saying - what cannot be remedied must be endured."

-Barbarosa

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2012, 09:06:34 am »
I think just chuck them in a bag and stick them in the cupboard above your stove. Lambic brewers age their hops for a lOOOOONG time. think years. But you could also just save the bits and pieces in the freezer and use them in a normal brew at some time, you would have no idea of the alpha% unless you carefully weighed each bit and tracked it for averaging later.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2012, 09:40:28 am »
I say you're best off freezing them and saving them up for late-hopping a "kitchen sink" style brew.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer