Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: African Beer  (Read 4902 times)

Offline stlaleman

• Assistant Brewer
    • Penrose Picobrewery
African Beer
« on: June 15, 2012, 05:45:05 am »
I've been asked to brew some "African" style beers for my church.I'm looking for some malted sorghum and any herbs that might have been used. Recipes are also appreciated. Thanks!

Offline Jimmy K

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Delaware
Re: African Beer
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2012, 07:29:36 am »
Tej is an Ethiopian drink made with honey and gesho wood. There are a few breweries that have turned it into a more beer-like version. I believe the gesho wood provides some bitterness.
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2012, 09:08:03 am »
The 'tropical' stout is popular in parts of africa I beleive, it's basically a guiness export with molasses (sorguhm). but you could get real creative with the herbs/spices and have some fun. I bet roobois red tea might in an interesting addition.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline hoser

• Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2012, 09:12:53 am »
Drew can probably speak more about this than me since he wrote the recipe for issue #64 of BeerAdvocate magazine.  There is an article on African beers and indeginous ingredients starting on page 47, "Southern Africa's Beer Boom: A Look at the Heart of Africa's Beer Scene."  Drew's recipe is on page 56. The gist of it is below:

Africa Mai Bok
5.5 gallons
OG 1.073
IBUs 33
SRM 5.7
90 minute boil

9lb Pilsner
2lb Millet
2lb Munich
0.25lb Aromatic
2lb Sorghum Extract

Cereal mash the millet.
Infuse main mash at 125*F
Reinfuse cereal mash for 150*F sacch. rest

0.75 oz Magnum pellets 11.0%AA @ 60 min.

WLP833 @ 52*F x 2 weeks w/ a diacetyl rest.

Offline Joe Sr.

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2012, 10:13:23 am »
At the Ethiopian restaurant by me, the serve the following (in addition to tej):

St. George (a lager that reminds me of Singha in that it is light and goes well with spicy food)
Bedele (similar to St. George)
Xingu (black beer, pretty much a schwarzbier)

I think Xingu is Brazilian, but the other two are brewed in Ethiopia.  Very similar to German lagers (Beck's is also a huge seller at the restaurant which has a large Ethiopian clientele).

It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline hubie

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2012, 10:24:25 am »
It has been a number of years since I read it, but in Charlie Papazian's Microbrewed Adventures he has a story about drinking some sorghum-based drink while in Africa.  Apparently you drink it while it is still fermenting.  If I recall correctly, at the end of each of his stories he has a recipe that approximates the beer he as talking about.  I'll see if I can dig out the book tonight and find a recipe.

From going to Disney's Animal Kingdom Park, I was specifically looking for African beers to try and they were offering Tusker from Kenya and Windhoek Lager from Namibia.  I believe they are both German-style lagers without the addition of anything unusual.  They have both been brewed in Africa since the 1920's or so.  I coincidentally stumbled upon them again a few days ago while looking for a Kilkenny Irish Ale clone recipe.  I wasn't aware they are all owned, along with Guinness and a number of others, by Diageo.

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2012, 11:10:51 am »
Check out this book, He talks about traditional african fermentations alot

http://www.amazon.com/Sacred-Herbal-Healing-Beers-Fermentation/dp/0937381667
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline noonancm

• Cellarman
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2012, 12:44:10 pm »
AHA also has homebrew club listed both in Ethiopia and in South Africa. I bet they could also supply some interesting recipes.