Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Coconut Racking Issues  (Read 3447 times)

Offline thebigbaker

• Brewmaster
  • Denver, CO
Coconut Racking Issues
« on: June 16, 2012, 04:09:59 pm »
I just kegged my Coconut Milk Stout (Milk Stout w/ coconut) and it tastes great!  However, I had an issue w/ coconut clogging my siphon while I was racking to the keg.  Any suggestions as to how to avoid getting a stuck siphon the next time I brew this beer (which will be tomorrow.) My siphon got stuck about 6-7 times before I was able to get all but

I brew three gallon batches.  After fermenting for 10 days, I toasted 9 ounces of shredded coconut and dumped into my fermenter.  I left the coconut in there for 11 days (three weeks total in my primary fermenter) then transferred to my keg. 

Thanks in advance for any advice on how to transfer this beer to the keg.
Jeremy Baker

"An escalator can never break: it can only become stairs. You should never see an Escalator Temporarily Out Of Order sign, just Escalator Temporarily Stairs. Sorry for the convenience." - Mitch Hedberg

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
Re: Coconut Racking Issues
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2012, 04:30:08 pm »
A sanitized coarse mesh bag to hold the coconut. That will solve your problem.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline thebigbaker

• Brewmaster
  • Denver, CO
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2012, 04:36:57 pm »
A sanitized coarse mesh bag to hold the coconut. That will solve your problem.

Thanks Euge, I was just thinking about that.  I've always used my carboys to ferment my beer in, so I may use a bucket next time to make it easy to get the bag of coconut in and out of. 
Jeremy Baker

"An escalator can never break: it can only become stairs. You should never see an Escalator Temporarily Out Of Order sign, just Escalator Temporarily Stairs. Sorry for the convenience." - Mitch Hedberg

Offline dbeechum

• Global Moderator
  • I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Pasadena, CA
    • Experimental Brewing
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2012, 05:04:25 pm »
I came into this thread with visions of the Professor, Gilligan and Jimmy Buffett
Drew Beechum - Maltosefalcons.com
- Vote in the AHA GC Election! - http://bit.ly/1aV9GVd  -
-----
Burbling:
Gnome is in the Details
*Experimental Brewing - The Book*
Tap:
Peanut Butter Jelly Time
Tupelo Mead
Farmhouse Brett Saison

Offline thebigbaker

• Brewmaster
  • Denver, CO
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2012, 05:26:52 pm »
I came into this thread with visions of the Professor, Gilligan and Jimmy Buffett

Ha, I had to rewrite the title of this thread a couple of times..."racking" and "nut" do not belong in the same sentence.
Jeremy Baker

Offline punatic

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Puna District, Hawaii Island (UTC -10)
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2012, 07:08:42 pm »
Use flake coconut instead of shredded coconut.
There is only one success: to be able to spend your life in your own way.

AHA Life Member #33907

Offline thebigbaker

• Brewmaster
  • Denver, CO
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2012, 07:37:04 pm »
Use flake coconut instead of shredded coconut.

Thanks, flaked coconut is a good idea.  My wife suggested to get a coconut and cut it into larger slices ourselves.  I remember growing up in Oahu, my mom and grandmother would take the meat out of the shells in two pieces and use a potato peeler to shave off large flakes of coconut. 
Jeremy Baker

Offline hoser

• Brewmaster
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2012, 07:37:52 pm »
Place it in a weighted sanitzed hop bag in the secondary/keg.  Sample to taste and then remove.