Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Sharing my keezer  (Read 20090 times)

Offline mesabrewery

• 1st Kit
Sharing my keezer
« on: May 03, 2012, 09:55:31 am »
I have been brewing for close to 15 years and only got into kegging about 2 years ago. I started with a smaller dorm size fridge that was converted into a kegerator...last summer I decided to make this...

I have very few tools, and no shop...so most of it was cut by hand on my front porch

I plan on punching two more taps in there, one for soda for the kids and one for wine for the wife.

Sent from my HTC Sensation 4G XE with Beats Audio using Tapatalk 2

Offline jmcamerlengo

• Brewmaster
Re: Sharing my keezer
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2012, 10:15:39 am »
looks excellent! kudos
Jason
-Head Brewer, Brewtus Brewers in the Shenango Valley. Hopefully opening a brewpub/nano brewery in the next couple years.

Offline fvb

• 1st Kit
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2012, 10:52:53 am »
Wow! Amazing work. I really like the back lighting of the taps.

Sent through this great digital frontier using my Dinc.

Offline Pinski

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Portland, Oregon
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2012, 11:29:39 am »
Very nicely done!
Steve Carper
Green Dragon Brewers
Clubs: Oregon Brew Crew & Strange Brew
BJCP Certified

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2012, 12:21:17 pm »
Wow!

Love the lighting effect. As one who has undertaken projects with minimal equipment and less than desirable work areas I must applaud you on your craftsmanship.

Is that a tip-jar? 8)
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline bo

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2012, 12:32:17 pm »
Very nice! I first thought that was copper on the back, but after looking closer, it appears to be a laminate that matches the bar top. Is that correct?

Offline tonyp

• Brewmaster
  • If it ain't broke you aren't trying hard enough...
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2012, 12:41:44 pm »
very cool! love the lighting!
Live from the Jersey Shore!

Phrases for Creatives, #22:
"I'll try being nicer if you'll try being smarter."

Offline Jimmy K

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Delaware
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2012, 02:18:17 pm »
Really, really nice!
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline mesabrewery

• 1st Kit
Re: Re: Sharing my keezer
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2012, 08:37:22 pm »
Thanks for all the compliments...not having a proper work area and having a full time job and family...I have not gotten around to staining it yet.

Wow!

Love the lighting effect. As one who has undertaken projects with minimal equipment and less than desirable work areas I must applaud you on your craftsmanship.

Is that a tip-jar? 8)

Its an oil simmer pot...which now may be replaced with a tip jar, all my thirsty friends might as well help out...

Very nice! I first thought that was copper on the back, but after looking closer, it appears to be a laminate that matches the bar top. Is that correct?

Correct, I attached a 5/8 inch piece of plywood as the bar top...too keep the weight down, I used vinyl laminate tiles on the back splash and top. I plan on possibly sealing it with clear acrylic at some point.

...Sent from my phone with a beer in my hand...

Offline cantonjason

• 1st Kit
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2012, 10:51:18 am »
Wow, what an awesome looking keezer!

I'm motivated to build a similar one (as long as you don't mind too much!) and am trying to understand how you mounted the top to the freezer.  Did you leave the original freezer lid in place and put the plywood on top or did you replace the original lid with the one you crafted?

Assuming there is still hinge action, If there is, I'm concerned about the area where the "top" meets the sides and how you keep the two areas from binding.  Is the hinge in the front or rear of the unit?

Is the unit you built deeper than the freezer or the same depth (front to back)?  My original thoughts were to make it deeper but if it's the same depth that might help to explain things.

Some detailed photos would be awesome@

Thanks in advance, jason.

Offline mesabrewery

• 1st Kit
Re: Re: Sharing my keezer
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2012, 07:50:48 am »
Wow, what an awesome looking keezer!

I'm motivated to build a similar one (as long as you don't mind too much!) and am trying to understand how you mounted the top to the freezer.  Did you leave the original freezer lid in place and put the plywood on top or did you replace the original lid with the one you crafted?

Assuming there is still hinge action, If there is, I'm concerned about the area where the "top" meets the sides and how you keep the two areas from binding.  Is the hinge in the front or rear of the unit?

Is the unit you built deeper than the freezer or the same depth (front to back)?  My original thoughts were to make it deeper but if it's the same depth that might help to explain things.

Some detailed photos would be awesome@

Thanks in advance, jason.

I will be getting more photos and hopefully a more detailed write up as I have received several requests...

No I don't mind you using any ideas you can take away from this...or even improve upon for that matter

The original top is in place on the freezer unit, I was thinking of building a collar at first to accommodate more kegs...but I liked that it is the exact height as our kitchen counters without the collar. I cut the top to sit flush in the back and overhangs by two inches on the sides and front...borrowed my neighbors router to make clearance for the existing lid handle, and just used "liquid nails" to attach it to the freezer lid.

As for the coffin on top (where the taps are) I built that as a separate piece and just used smaller screws and "L" brackets to attach it to the new top...as for the lines running down, I thought of either drilling one large hole through the top...or three small ones...I opted to drill three smaller 1" holes from the inside of the coffin down into the freezer.

I was worried that I would have foamy pours due to the coffin not being cooled...but I'm happy to report that this is not the case

...more to come

Cheers,
Aaron

Sent from my HTC Sensation using Tapatalk 2

Offline lazydog79

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2012, 03:35:44 pm »
SWEET!  I'm working on finishing our basement with a bar and keezer.  I had been thinking of cladding the keezer in wood to match the bar.  I love the "coffin" idea on top.  If that is attached to the lid, is it hard to open?  Would love to see some detailed plans, if you don't mind the theft  ;)