Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Knife sharpener  (Read 22883 times)

Offline HydraulicSammich

• Assistant Brewer
  • Logan, UT
Re: Knife sharpener
« Reply #30 on: June 17, 2012, 05:49:14 pm »
Important in maintaining a sharp knife for a prolonged period of time, the use of a sharpening steel is critical.  You are not sharpening, or buffing any spots out, but aligning steel sheathes on the cutting edge vertical to the cutting surface of the blade.  Two or so strokes are sufficient.  The same principle is with the leather razor strop.  This whole process keeps us from grinding precious metal from the blade. 
AHA Member 900001775

Offline gmac

• Brewmaster General
  • London, Ontario
« Reply #31 on: June 17, 2012, 08:22:07 pm »
My GF is a chronic blade abuser.

That's a good point. If you're like me, and your knife skills aren't great, your edge won't last long, whether you hone the knives or not. There is an episode or two on Good Eats that cover knife skills, and Kenji at Serious Eats has a whole series on knife skills.

I'm obviously still new at this, but that Lansky kit seems too coarse. The Spyderco stones I used were 1200 and 2000 US grit. The 1200 was plenty coarse to get a decent edge on the cheap knives in 15-20 strokes. I'm sure the Lansky kit will get your knives sharp, but I wonder if it'd take off more material than you really need to.

Could be.  But you don't need to use the coarse stone very often.  I only use it when I have to remove a nick or re-angle a blade.  I also think that there are differences between the way that stone grit is measured between different styles of stone but I'm no expert on this.  One thing I do know is if you go for japanese waterstones, you will need to lap them periodically on glass.  Not a big deal but you basically rub them on a piece of glass with diamond dust to ensure that they are perfectly flat.  Otherwise, after repeated use they will develop a divot where you use them a lot.

Offline nateo

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #32 on: June 17, 2012, 09:40:01 pm »
I asked my better half about this, because I'm a newbie as you know. I'm not saying she's an expert, but she was a pro cook and spent many, many hours doing prep work.

I'm paraphrasing here, but basically she said most knives don't even need to be sharp enough to cut tomatoes. There's no reason a knife needs to be sharper than necessary to complete the given task. She also said with a very fine edge, you're more likely to bend or knick the edge, and that, all other things being equal, a "less-sharp" edge is going to be stronger/more durable than a razor-fine edge.

I'm not arguing knives should be dull, but unless you're shaving with it, I don't think there's anything inherently better about having a razor-sharp knife.
In der Kürze liegt die Würze.

Offline MDixon

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #33 on: June 18, 2012, 04:57:24 am »
I often go to my parent's house. My mother is able to cut an astounding number of things using knives I wouldn't use as a screwdriver. Yes, I agree, you can cut a tomato with a fairly dull knife. That doesn't mean you SHOULD do it that way. (FWIW - Ma doesn't use a cutting board either)
It's not a popularity contest, it's beer!

Offline gmac

• Brewmaster General
  • London, Ontario
« Reply #34 on: June 19, 2012, 09:10:02 pm »
I sharpen different knives at different angles. Filet knife is about 17 degrees because I want it razor sharp, paring knives at 20-25 and chef knives at 30 because it gives a tougher edge but I agree the wrong angle for the task will really cause problems because the edge will fail too easily.  A steel between uses is also a must and if you really care get a magnetic strip to store them on. 
Also glass cutting boards should be illegal!

Offline MDixon

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #35 on: June 20, 2012, 06:11:26 am »
I store mine in a drawer knife tray similar to this one

I've not noticed detriment to the blades since the drawer is soft close and I am careful putting the knives away and bringing them out.

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #36 on: June 20, 2012, 09:31:00 am »
I use one of those magnetic strips. Have to be careful though. You want to be looking when you reach for a knife. ::)
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #37 on: June 20, 2012, 09:34:02 am »
I store mine in a drawer knife tray similar to this one

I've not noticed detriment to the blades since the drawer is soft close and I am careful putting the knives away and bringing them out.

I don't know that the knife blocks are bad for the blade or not, but I worry about what happens when a little dirt or moisture gets down in there. I have a 'block' attached to the side of a little kitchen cart, it is open on the bottom and is really just a wooden box with slits in the top so the knives are hanging with the blades open to the air but no edges are exposed for accidental cutting.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline MDixon

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #38 on: June 20, 2012, 03:12:44 pm »
Our house rule is if it comes out of the knife tray it is washed and dried before it is put away. We have some other knives in a plastic knife tray that get abused, but the good ones reside in the wooden tray ;)

Offline 1vertical

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Ozone Layer. Actual location
« Reply #39 on: June 24, 2012, 03:24:01 pm »
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00004WFUL/ref=ord_cart_shr?ie=UTF8&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER

These!!!  large stones with a base and various gradients of grit.
A fine is a tax for doing wrong. A tax is a fine for doing well.

Offline punatic

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Puna District, Hawaii Island (UTC -10)
« Reply #40 on: June 24, 2012, 03:49:47 pm »
My frontline kitchen knives and steel live in an undercabinet-mounted wooden block that pivots out of the way.  It's made by Wusthof.  Note the blades are not resting on their cutting edges:

There is only one success: to be able to spend your life in your own way.

AHA Life Member #33907

Offline pinnah

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Wesloper, CO
« Reply #41 on: June 24, 2012, 08:01:10 pm »
  Note the blades are not resting on their cutting edges:

:D, Cause that would most certainly render them dull and unusable. ;D ;)

I have the spyderco ceramic V.  I should use it more.
Magnet storage here as well.

Offline MDixon

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #42 on: June 25, 2012, 08:54:26 am »
I like the neat look of the drawer insert (no knives visible) and haven't found them in the slots to be detrimental to the cutting ability. I checked all the knives and every chef's knife is sitting on the back of the handle and the heel at the bolster. I do have one utility knife which appears to be resting more along the entire length of the blade.