Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Fermented grapefruit juice  (Read 26016 times)

Offline nateo

• Brewmaster General
Fermented grapefruit juice
« on: June 16, 2012, 03:16:45 pm »
I made a batch of grapefruit "wine" recently. It was just Florida's Best grapefruit juice + yeast (IIRC it was Cote des Blanc). It's got kind of a funky nose on it. Like sulfur, but slightly different. I used a bit of yeast nutrient, but I think the yeast was still pretty unhappy due to the low pH. It still smells strongly like grapefruit juice, so it might just be the aroma of the juice, and not actually yeast-produced sulfur.

Anyway, I didn't make it to drink by itself (I made it for radlers) but it's pretty undrinkable on its own. Mixed with a pilsner it's pretty nice though. 
In der Kürze liegt die Würze.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
Re: Fermented grapefruit juice
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2012, 07:14:26 pm »
Hmmm... bet it would be pretty nice with SNPA or any other Cascade-heavy APA/IPA. Heck, maybe try Randalling it over some Cascades in a french press...
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline hooter

• Cellarman
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2012, 08:03:03 pm »
Isn't radlers just beer mixed with non-alcoholic juice or soda?  I've gotta be honest, grapefruit wine sounds just plain awful any way you look at it. 

Offline nateo

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2012, 08:38:55 pm »
I find soda to be way too sweet, so I don't really care for any commercial radlers.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2012, 08:29:37 am »
sounds disgusting from the start. you should have known better. and rattlers are for sissy's.. just sayin'.

Offline hooter

• Cellarman
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2012, 10:15:01 am »
sounds disgusting from the start. you should have known better. and rattlers are for sissy's.. just sayin'.

Amen.  Beer is fine on it's own IMO.  Why ruin a perfectly good thing with something so vile?  Oh well, for each his own I guess.

Offline nateo

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2012, 10:47:38 am »
You guys have no imagination. In the grand scale of "ruined beer" this ranks well below Bug Light Lime, et al and is nowhere near as vile as most of what Leinenkugel makes.

Offline nateo

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2012, 10:51:58 am »
I do think next time I'll mix the grapefruit juice with something else, maybe apple or pear juice.

Offline hooter

• Cellarman
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2012, 12:20:02 am »
I do think next time I'll mix the grapefruit juice with something else, maybe apple or pear juice.

Fermenting apple or even pear juice I can understand.  There's plenty of fruit juices that can be fermented on their own or with beer.  There's just not alot of success stories out there when it comes to fermenting any citrus fruit juice, not that I've heard anyway.  I'm no stranger to experimenting with all kinds of ingredients, but this one just doesn't make alot of sense to me.  But hey, go for it and let us know how it turns out. 

BTW, I can dig what you're saying when to comes to Bud Light lime and Leinenkugels.  I steer clear of that nastiness.  I'm not sure this is any better than that stuff though.  Just sayin'.  ;)

Offline nateo

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2012, 06:17:13 am »
What is this, Horse-ville? 'Cause I'm surrounded by nay-sayers!

Well, it's not nearly as bad as you guys think it is. I don't really have any personal attachment to it one way or the other, I just thought it was interesting.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2012, 01:08:15 pm »
Worry the bottle, mama. It'ds grape fruit wine.

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2012, 01:14:01 pm »
I've had pineapple juice spontaneously ferment and it was still ok to drink. Fizzy.

Grapefruit while a decent additive sounds like it'd be too bitter fermented. But, I'd try a radler with it. Why not? Might be a new discovery. Can't be any worse than fermented mare's milk.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline nateo

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2012, 01:57:11 pm »
Grapefruit while a decent additive sounds like it'd be too bitter fermented.

Oh man, you're right! It is pretty bitter. I think it'd make a nice sub for bitters in fizzy drinks. I'm gonna have to try that in a pink gin and tonic later.

There's not a way to say this without sounding like a douchebag, but I've been really interested in the intersections of flavors between wine, beer and spirits lately. I've been making a lot wine-like sour beers lately.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2012, 05:44:20 pm by nateo »

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2012, 07:50:26 pm »
kick off your high heel sneakers, it's party time

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2012, 10:31:21 pm »
Grapefruit while a decent additive sounds like it'd be too bitter fermented.

Oh man, you're right! It is pretty bitter. I think it'd make a nice sub for bitters in fizzy drinks. I'm gonna have to try that in a pink gin and tonic later.

There's not a way to say this without sounding like a douchebag, but I've been really interested in the intersections of flavors between wine, beer and spirits lately. I've been making a lot wine-like sour beers lately.

Why is it being a douche to seriously consider these things?

Any way I like these flavors too. For some reason I actually like the taste of sweet vermouth in gin or vodka. That's a hell of an intersection. Wine in juice I enjoy- especially the Santos sangria iced down in a glass in front of me right now. I have yet to blend wine and beer but the day is coming.

The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis