Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Bottling my first Mead...Advice??  (Read 8078 times)

Offline liquidbrewing

• Brewer
  • OG - FG x 131= ABV%
Bottling my first Mead...Advice??
« on: June 09, 2012, 08:25:58 am »
So, I'm gonna bottle my first mead today.  I have a Beer Gun, I only bottle one batch of beer a year, my yearly Barleywine.  I never purge the bottles, since I add extra yeast and sugar when I bottle.  I figure the secondary fermentation will push any O2 to the top of the bottle.

But my mead is going to be still.  Should I purge the bottles with CO2 or just bottle them up?  Would a little oxygen help or hurt this mead?  Its going to need a few months to age, I fermented it really cool, but it still has a weird hot alcohol taste, not terrible, but noticeable.
Justin
Liquid Brewing, Co.
"Find Your Own Level"

Offline jamminbrew

• Brewmaster
  • theAntipunk
Re: Bottling my first Mead...Advice??
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2012, 09:32:48 am »
My last mead was fairly hot also, so I added a blend of tannic, malic, and citric acid to help level that out. And I just bottled it, no issues with O2. After 6 months, it was awesome.
In caelo cerivisiae nil, hic igitur bibimus.

Offline nateo

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2012, 09:40:28 am »
A small amount of oxidation is OK, a lot is not so much. A little bit tastes like sherry. A lot tastes like cardboard.
In der Kürze liegt die Würze.

Offline dbarber

• Brewer
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2012, 12:49:25 pm »
If you are using a beer gun I would go ahead and purge the bottles.  That's my SOP when bottling still meads.
Dave Barber
Orwigsburg, PA
AHA Member, BJCP National

Offline rjharper

• Brewmaster
    • Angry Scotsman Brewing
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2012, 02:06:28 pm »
I use my beer gun too, but I have both CO2 and gas blend (for my stouts) bottles.  I use the blend with mead, I figure I can purge with N2 instead.