Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: WLP007  (Read 11275 times)

Offline Pinski

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Portland, Oregon
Re: WLP007
« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2012, 10:31:34 am »
I'm gonna have to disagree with everybody on this one.  I've used it twice, on 2 different styles and it left a yeasty flavor that I could not drink.  I turned one keg into malt vinegar that was good, I left one keg in the fridge over a year before it was drinkable and I gave a second batch away for birthday parties.
Well, that's not what I wanted to hear.
So, in case it sucks; how do you make malt vinegar?
Steve Carper
Green Dragon Brewers
Clubs: Oregon Brew Crew & Strange Brew
BJCP Certified

Offline bigjohn3957

• 1st Kit
« Reply #16 on: June 14, 2012, 10:55:13 am »
I have never had any undesireable characteristics from this yeast and my beers have always been quite enjoyable shortly after reaching TG.

Offline hoser

• Brewmaster
« Reply #17 on: June 14, 2012, 11:21:43 am »
I have never had any undesireable characteristics from this yeast and my beers have always been quite enjoyable shortly after reaching TG.

My experience as well.

I'm gonna have to disagree with everybody on this one.  I've used it twice, on 2 different styles and it left a yeasty flavor that I could not drink.  I turned one keg into malt vinegar that was good, I left one keg in the fridge over a year before it was drinkable and I gave a second batch away for birthday parties. 

What temp did you ferment at?  This yeast has a tendency to work very fast and very hard and the temps can rise quite high very quickly if you don't have temperature control on your yeast during the active part of fermentation.  That may be the reason for the off flavors?

Offline Slowbrew

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
« Reply #18 on: June 14, 2012, 12:37:07 pm »
So, in case it sucks; how do you make malt vinegar?

It is about as easy as pouring some unpasturized vinegar from the store into the beer.  Seal it, set it someplace out of the sun and let it go.  Check it now and then.  When it get strong enough for you, it's done.

Paul
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?

Offline corkybstewart

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #19 on: June 14, 2012, 07:04:01 pm »

My experience as well.

What temp did you ferment at?  This yeast has a tendency to work very fast and very hard and the temps can rise quite high very quickly if you don't have temperature control on your yeast during the active part of fermentation.  That may be the reason for the off flavors?
You may have a point.  This happened back in the mid 90's when I fermented my beers in the living room at 72F ambient.
But, with the keg that sat in the fridge a year all the yeast had completely dropped out into a fairly solid layer in the keg and the beer was delicious.  Also some of my friends loved this beer(but then they're friends drinking free beer) from the start, so I attributed the off flavors to residual yeast.
Life is wonderful in sunny White Signal New Mexico

Offline hoser

• Brewmaster
« Reply #20 on: June 15, 2012, 08:51:01 am »

My experience as well.

You may have a point.  This happened back in the mid 90's when I fermented my beers in the living room at 72F ambient.
But, with the keg that sat in the fridge a year all the yeast had completely dropped out into a fairly solid layer in the keg and the beer was delicious.  Also some of my friends loved this beer(but then they're friends drinking free beer) from the start, so I attributed the off flavors to residual yeast.

If you have temp control now, I would give this yeast another chance.  I think you will be pleasantly surprised.  I have noticed this yeast drop out pretty clear after primary ferment, but seems to get pissed off when you move the keg it seems to take longer to fall out of suspension once it is packaged.  Not sure why that is.....

Offline DrewG

• Brewer
  • Thread Killer
« Reply #21 on: June 15, 2012, 09:01:22 am »
when you move the keg it seems to take longer to fall out of suspension once it is packaged.  Not sure why that is.....

I had this with the Levitation clone, but chalked it up to the 2 oz dry hop.
"Well, the Mexicans got a saying - what cannot be remedied must be endured."

-Barbarosa