Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: How Full Should We Fill Our Kegs?  (Read 38732 times)

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: How Full Should We Fill Our Kegs?
« Reply #15 on: June 18, 2012, 09:01:16 am »
Still using those cobra taps, eh Denny?   ;)

Yep.  I tried to figure out an alternative, but with a small house I just don't have the space to do it any other way.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline roguejim

• Brewer
« Reply #16 on: June 18, 2012, 01:18:02 pm »
Taps on your fridge wouldn't require any additional room.  Cheap it ain't though.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #17 on: June 18, 2012, 01:49:34 pm »
Taps on your fridge wouldn't require any additional room.  Cheap it ain't though.

No, but a place to put the CO2 bottle does.  Believe me, it's not like I haven't thought about it!
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #18 on: June 19, 2012, 12:45:30 pm »
definitly leave some some headspace if you are force carbonating. the more headspace the faster it will carb.
I don't think it would matter with a regulator set as long as the surface area is the same.

Tell you what, try it for yourself. Set aside one keg with 1 in of head space and one with 4 inches and see which one carbonates faster. The more headspace for Co2 to fill the faster it will absorb if you are going with top pressure. This goes for the shake method too, the more headspace the less amount of time you have to shake. If you leave NO headspace the beer won't carbonate.

Offline Joe Sr.

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #19 on: June 19, 2012, 01:19:31 pm »
definitly leave some some headspace if you are force carbonating. the more headspace the faster it will carb.
I don't think it would matter with a regulator set as long as the surface area is the same.

Tell you what, try it for yourself. Set aside one keg with 1 in of head space and one with 4 inches and see which one carbonates faster. The more headspace for Co2 to fill the faster it will absorb if you are going with top pressure. This goes for the shake method too, the more headspace the less amount of time you have to shake. If you leave NO headspace the beer won't carbonate.

My guess is that what you're seeing is the effect of a smaller volume of beer carbonating faster.  In other words, the volume of liquid rather than the volume of the headspace is the critical factor.

The appropriate test would be two different size kegs (a 5 gallon and a 3 gallon or whatever) with the same amount of beer in them.  Identical volumes of beer should carbonate at the same rate.  At least that's what makes intuitive sense to me.

As for no headspace, while I've not tried it, I have to think it would carbonate eventually if left hooked up to CO2 at constant pressure.  However, if it's completely full the surface area that the gas would be in contact with might be as small as the dip tube.

As to the shake method, no disagreement.  There's more surface area while you are shaking.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #20 on: June 19, 2012, 03:20:38 pm »
I'm seeing this on anywhere between 5 gallon corny kegs and 350 gallon bright tank. I can't remember the explanation behid it but it correlates to the amount of Co2 in the head space.