Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Converting fridge or freezer to fermentation chamber  (Read 32317 times)

Offline davidgzach

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: Converting fridge or freezer to fermentation chamber
« Reply #15 on: June 19, 2012, 01:51:38 pm »
If buying new, I would make a cardboard cutout of the diameter of your carboy and take it with you to the store.  I'm only assuming you want two to fit on the bottom at one time. 

Dave

I am planning to take an actual carboy with me. :-) Looks like that Sears model (and a couple similar to it) do have fixed shelves used as conduit for coolant. Darn. I'm still going into Sears soon to see what they have.

NICE!
Dave Zach

Offline kgs

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Sonoma County, CA
« Reply #16 on: June 19, 2012, 01:55:58 pm »
am I mistaken or is that a twelve pack of cheep beer on the bottom shelf?

Must keep that cheap beer fresh.

I think that is actually "butter".

ahh okay, that makes slightly more sense. still don't get the strawberries and g-fruit.

Wow off topic much?

kgs,

I have two used fridges, one for keggerator the other for fermentation. I wish that I had a chest freezer for fermentation just based on footprint v. capacity and efficiency but I can see the problems with lifting fermenters out. If you could rig up a transfer method, syphon or pump and put a chest freezer on wheels so you could roll it over to your kettle that would be ideal in my opinion.

This is what I really need: http://www.wbur.org/npr/155278207/you-know-you-want-one-personal-robots-not-ready-for-you-yet

However, I think I'll find a small fridge or used upright freezer -- it is in the cards for me this summer. I appreciate all the help!
K.G. Schneider
AHA Member

Offline davidgzach

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #17 on: June 19, 2012, 02:53:56 pm »
I would go with the fridge as the upright freezer will have shelves made of cooling coils.  Unless you definitely do not want to have a couple of carboys on the shelves....

Dave
Dave Zach

Offline kgs

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Sonoma County, CA
« Reply #18 on: June 19, 2012, 04:51:07 pm »
I would go with the fridge as the upright freezer will have shelves made of cooling coils.  Unless you definitely do not want to have a couple of carboys on the shelves....

Dave

I am starting to see what you mean -- the upright freezers in the size range I'm looking at seem to have shelves made of cooling coils. The larger freezers are too big. Boolean logic is coming in to play here.

If I attach a controller to a fridge, what happens to the freezer? I understand it's not usable for fermentation, but I don't know why. Is it on a separate control? Does it stay a usable freezer or is it rendered non-usable?
K.G. Schneider
AHA Member

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #19 on: June 19, 2012, 04:57:08 pm »
Many fridges today are actually cooled by the freezer coils which blow down into the refrigerator compartment. I think it would work anyway with a controller as long as the probe is in the fridge compartment.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline boapiu

• Cellarman
  • Arlington, TN
« Reply #20 on: June 20, 2012, 08:45:17 am »
I am trying to remember my set up when I used a side by side fridge freezer for fermentation. I think the freezer part was just where I stored some extra grains in zip lock bags to ensure they were safe from bugs. The temp controller could only reliably keep one side at consistent setting. Another thing to keep in mind is that a full carboy or fermentation bucket is probably too heavy for most shelving. In my present incarnation I have a piece of wood cut to length that acts as a brace to support the shelf when I have carboys sitting on it.
Beer is an ancient beverage that has been consumed as part of a balanced diet for centuries - it contains the goodness of sprouted grain extracted into rich liquid and fermented to produce a nutritional 'liquid cereal' beverage.

Offline rob_f

• Assistant Brewer
  • Corcoran Brew Works, Maryland
« Reply #21 on: June 20, 2012, 10:20:09 am »
I used a side-by-side when I first got into kegging.  With two temperature controllers I controlled the freezer side and the fridge side.  The freezer controller turned the refrigerator on and off.  The fridge-side controller controlled a computer fan mounted in the duct between the sides, pulling colder air from the freezer to the fridge.  This worked well for lagers at 36F and ales at 46F.  The lager side also doubled as a conventional fridge for hops, bottles, etc.
Rob Farrell
AHA
CRABS

Offline Jimmy K

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Delaware
« Reply #22 on: June 21, 2012, 07:54:15 am »
am I mistaken or is that a twelve pack of cheep beer on the bottom shelf?

Must keep that cheap beer fresh.

I think that is actually "butter".

Zoom in - I'm pretty sure it is beer. Even has barley on the box.
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline Joe Sr.

• Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #23 on: June 21, 2012, 08:31:50 am »
I think it's a case of this: http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/912/2910

Popular in the Dominican Republic, I'm told.

EDIT - could be butter, though.  It's hard to tell as all of those items look like cut and paste jobs that are not actually in the fridge/freezer.

Anyway, what the hell is that orange thing?

If it was me, I'd go with an old fridge with the freezer on top.  At least, that's my eventual plan.  Space to keep hops and things in the freezer, fridge for serving.  Maybe my old Sanyo become a fermentation chamber.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2012, 08:34:44 am by Joe Sr. »
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline ccfoo242

• Brewmaster
  • I drank what? - Socrates
« Reply #24 on: June 21, 2012, 08:32:54 am »
No, it's butter...
Intra cervisiam est deus.

Offline phillamb168

• Brewmaster General
  • Lardy, France
    • My Job
« Reply #25 on: June 21, 2012, 08:47:39 am »
No, it's butter...

So I gotta ask, how much did you pay for that butter? Because President is a pretty common grocery store brand and costs ~2 eur ($3). I ask because I just got back from 'American' shopping for prep for our 4th of July party, and I bought a box of Domino dark brown sugar for $8, and a pack of 4 dry ranch dressing packets for $15. Exporting is a hell of a business.
I'm on twitter: phillamb168
----
morticaixavier for governing committee!

Offline Joe Sr.

• Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #26 on: June 21, 2012, 09:06:50 am »
Dunno what the butter costs, but years ago I took a suitcase full of Hidden Valley Ranch ranch dressing out to San Francisco for a buddy who couldn't get it out there (apparently not healthy enough).

His parents dropped it off at my house and I traveled with like a gallon or more of dressing.

I was a ranch dressing mule.

Obviously, this was long before the TSA...
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline phillamb168

• Brewmaster General
  • Lardy, France
    • My Job
« Reply #27 on: June 21, 2012, 10:02:55 am »
Dunno what the butter costs, but years ago I took a suitcase full of Hidden Valley Ranch ranch dressing out to San Francisco for a buddy who couldn't get it out there (apparently not healthy enough).

His parents dropped it off at my house and I traveled with like a gallon or more of dressing.

I was a ranch dressing mule.

Dunno if you can classify that stuff as a 'liquid.'
I'm on twitter: phillamb168
----
morticaixavier for governing committee!

Offline Jimmy K

• Delaware
« Reply #28 on: July 19, 2012, 06:38:26 am »
Dunno if you can classify that stuff as a 'liquid.'

Now I'm wondering if I could bring a frozen water bottle through security. Technically, I'd have no liquid.

And we're way off topic.
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline mainebrewer

• Brewmaster
« Reply #29 on: July 20, 2012, 05:52:17 am »
The standard 'fridge with freezer on top, as noted by Euge, uses the freezer to cool the refrigerator compartment.
Set both controls (freezer and refrigerator compartment) to max cold.
The probe from the external temp controller would be located in the refrigerator compartment (ideally attached to the fermenter or using a thermowell) will control the temp in the freezer and 'fridge compartment.
The freezer will be the same temp as the refrigerator compartment.
"It's not that people are ignorant, it's just that they know so much that just isn't true." Ronald Reagan