Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Macadamia Nuts  (Read 3956 times)

Offline wamille

• Assistant Brewer
Macadamia Nuts
« on: June 18, 2012, 07:38:46 pm »
Has anyone used macadamia nuts in a beer... and if so, any head retention problems?  Also, if used, how did you prep them?  I was thinking of crushing them and toasting them to dry the oils out of the nuts.

Offline The Professor

• Brewmaster
  • "In the next life, you're on your own"
Re: Macadamia Nuts
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2012, 09:43:35 pm »
I've never brewed with them (or any nuts for that matter) but Macadamias are hellaciously oily (although that oil  is very healthy). 

I would think that you shouldn't expect very much head retention on the finished beer since even crushing and toasting is not going to get all of the oils out.  The heat will leach some out, but there will still be plenty left.

I would also think that the flavor contribution from the Macs would be fairly subtle, unless you really use a shritload of them.  In any case, the flavor here would, I should think, be the focus of the experiment rather than the head retention factor.

If you make the brew, be sure to report back on the results.  I'd be interested to know how it turns out...and what you wind up spending to make it. 
Macadamias are certainly one of the more expensive tree nuts out there.
AL
New Brunswick, NJ
[499.6, 101.2] Apparent Rennerian
Homebrewer since July 1971

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
Re: Macadamia Nuts
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2012, 10:41:20 pm »
I don't think there's enough oil to wreck your head. What I read about a pecan beer was the people successfully used them in the mash. But I can see steeping/scalding some ground toasted macs in hot beer and adding to secondary. The mash can't be the only way.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis