Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: some type of rypa  (Read 3722 times)

Offline deanocamino

• 1st Kit
some type of rypa
« on: June 18, 2012, 09:09:13 am »
Just looking for some feedback on this grain bill to go along with it however I will be using british ale yeast, and probably some soret of english hop variety
4lb pale
4lb munich
rye ??? not sure how much I want to use was thinking a pound should do it.

I thought that the munich would add a bit of character to the beer as a base malt and also considered adding a touch of crystal but I am undecided on that yet

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: some type of rypa
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2012, 09:10:07 am »
A lb. of rye won't add a lot of flavor, depending on what you want.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline deanocamino

• 1st Kit
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2012, 09:16:47 am »
I kind of figured that, I was thinking of going on the higher end like around 4lb,,, but then someone said that was way too over the top. I am looking for the rye to come through but not be the backbone of the beer.

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2012, 09:44:57 am »
I find that for rye malt to be really noticeable, it needs to be at least 15% of your total grist.  And just a word of warning....for MY tastes (obviously not everyone's), I don't care for large amounts of Munich or British yeast with rye.  YMMV.

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline deanocamino

• 1st Kit
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2012, 09:52:03 am »
why is that??? do you feel that the flavors dont meld well?

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2012, 10:40:57 am »
why is that??? do you feel that the flavors dont meld well?

Yeah, I feel like the rye fights with the Munich and/or British yeast.  But everyone has their own tastes.  If you can taste it in your mind and think it'll work, go for it.  That's the key....don't just throw ingredients together.  Use your "taste imagination" so you get an idea of what you're creating.

www.dennybrew.com