Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Stale Pale Ale Malt?  (Read 9046 times)

Offline davidgzach

• Senior Brewmaster
Stale Pale Ale Malt?
« on: July 12, 2012, 10:16:34 am »
I didn't realize I was out of 2-Row and had a bag of Pale Ale Malt around for about 2 months, so I used 10# of it in lieu of 2-row for my American Lager today.  It was in the sealed bag in my boiler room and I thought just fine, but when I chewed on a few as I am accustomed on brew day, it was, well damp and squishy, not crunchy.  I went ahead and ground it.  It didn't taste bad and it looked fine so I just mashed in. 

Am I screwed or RDWHAHB? 

And did I screw up the lager by using 10 pounds of Pale Malt with 4 pound of 2-row or will the lager just have a little more of a malt backbone?

Dave
Dave Zach

Online denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Stale Pale Ale Malt?
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2012, 10:39:34 am »
Darn...I thought maybe it was about this....

As to the real question, I think you;ll be OK.  It may not be the best beer you've ever made, but I'll bet you'll like it.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline roger

• Assistant Brewer
Re: Stale Pale Ale Malt?
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2012, 11:19:11 am »
I still have a bottle of this . . ahh "beer." My favorite line was "The first batch was so pale, it fainted."
Roger

Online denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Stale Pale Ale Malt?
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2012, 12:17:52 pm »
I still have a bottle of this . . ahh "beer." My favorite line was "The first batch was so pale, it fainted."

I have a few empty bottles, but no full ones.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell