Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: melanoidin in an amber?  (Read 14530 times)

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: melanoidin in an amber?
« Reply #15 on: June 29, 2012, 09:59:30 am »
Is an amber with Munich/melanoidin character not going to wind up being closer to an alt?

Not to me, although Alaskan Brewing might disagree.  They say their amber is an alt.  The BJCP reception at NHC this year focused on alts.  After tasting Alaskan amber next to Zum Uerige, I'm more convinced than ever that it's a different animal.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline jeffy

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Tampa, Fl
« Reply #16 on: June 29, 2012, 10:13:25 am »
Is an amber with Munich/melanoidin character not going to wind up being closer to an alt?

Not to me, although Alaskan Brewing might disagree.  They say their amber is an alt.  The BJCP reception at NHC this year focused on alts.  After tasting Alaskan amber next to Zum Uerige, I'm more convinced than ever that it's a different animal.

Their point was that Alaskan is a North German Alt, which is indeed a different animal from Dusseldorf Alt.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
melanoidin in an amber?
« Reply #17 on: June 29, 2012, 10:14:07 am »
I had Alaskan Amber at the airport waiting to catch my red eye back to the deep south and, while I thought it was a tasty beer, I didn't think it tasted much like an alt.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #18 on: June 29, 2012, 10:14:45 am »

Their point was that Alaskan is a North German Alt, which is indeed a different animal from Dusseldorf Alt.

Picky, picky, picky....;)
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline skyler

• Brewmaster
  • Hmm. Human music. I like it.
« Reply #19 on: July 01, 2012, 02:54:31 am »
Alts vary a lot in Düsseldorf. Ürige is the bitterest, driest, hoppiest example. I think too many judges look for Ürige-style hop character, but it isn't the only way they're done in their homeland.

Online hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #20 on: July 01, 2012, 09:27:19 am »

The Zum Uerige at the BJCP reception was a hazy shadow of what it should be. The best by dates for bottles is 8 weeks in Germany. We carried some back from our last trip and sharred with some people who are very knowledgeable on beer (one was National level), and they were amazed by it vs. what they had tasted in the USA.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Online hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #21 on: July 01, 2012, 09:32:56 am »
Alts vary a lot in Düsseldorf. Ürige is the bitterest, driest, hoppiest example. I think too many judges look for Ürige-style hop character, but it isn't the only way they're done in their homeland.

You are correct. Having been at Schumacher, Zum Schuessel, and Im Fuechschen you realize that Uerige takes it to a higher level of bitterness. You get a soft marshmellow malt flavor (thank you M. Jackson) from Im Fuechschen, and not as much bitterness. You get Munich malt in Schumacher, not in Uerige (at least to me).

I could drink Uerige all afternoon, and in fact I have on several occasions!
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline stihler

• Cellarman
    • Alaska Beer and Brewing
« Reply #22 on: July 03, 2012, 11:46:52 am »
Alaskan Brewing may have changed their tune with respect to their Amber.

They just recently took a Silver medal in the World Beer Cup with it entered as an Irish Red (http://bit.ly/KfjY2x).

Nice beer regardless of the style though.

- Scott
Is beer a vegetable?