Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: NHC Second Rounders...Batch or Fly Sparge?  (Read 16373 times)

Offline tomsawyer

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: NHC Second Rounders...Batch or Fly Sparge?
« Reply #30 on: July 07, 2012, 08:23:17 am »
Nice to see that all the AG methods showed success.  I'm particularly glad to see that fly sparging isn't head and shoulders better than other methods, since I am set up to batch sparge or no sparge.

I suppose one would need to see percentages of peoples' methods who entered, to compare to success rates in order to determine if a particular method is superior.  And you'd need enough data points for each method to make it statistically significant.

As for extracts, companies are making some really nice products these days (rye, Munich,wheat, even the conventional malt ones have more sophisticated recipes including crystal and dextrin) and I tell new brewers that they can make really good beer with these.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2012, 08:26:16 am by tomsawyer »
Lennie
Hannibal, MO

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: NHC Second Rounders...Batch or Fly Sparge?
« Reply #31 on: July 07, 2012, 09:23:39 am »
The fallacy in all of this is that sparging is the factor that made a difference.  There is a lot more to the brewing process than sparging, and saying that because a batch that was sparged one way or another achieved success because of the sparge method overlooks all the other variables involved.  Pretty much all you can conclude is that the sparge method wasn't detrimental to the beer.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell