Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: That was painful  (Read 3602 times)

Offline snowtiger87

• Brewer
That was painful
« on: June 19, 2012, 01:37:04 pm »
I new this batch of beer would be a little more technically challengeing because of how I wanted to do it - 10 gallon IPA with 7% flaked oats split into 2 vessles for the boil so I could hop each one differently. However, what I did not count on was the false bottom in my mash tun coming off at the bottom of 27 lbs of mashed grain !  >:(

I tried just going with it but it became clear that the little trickle of wort I could get going was going to take me all afternoon to sparge. So I decided to take all of the hot, wet, sticky mash out of my mash tun, put into by boil kettle, re-attach the disconnected false bottom, then put the mash back in the mashtun, re-circ, then sparge again.  :P

I just got done with that and now the sparge is going beautifully. That was awfully thirsty work though so now I am having beer.  ;D
Brewing since 1989 - BJCP National Rank
Member of KROC and Foam on the Range

Fermenting: Double IPA
Conditioning: Saison du Potiron
On tap: Cider, Cream Ale, Bock, Rye Dunkel Doppelbock, Celebration Clone, Imperial Stout

Offline corkybstewart

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: That was painful
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2012, 01:48:15 pm »
I new this batch of beer would be a little more technically challengeing because of how I wanted to do it - 10 gallon IPA with 7% flaked oats split into 2 vessles for the boil so I could hop each one differently. However, what I did not count on was the false bottom in my mash tun coming off at the bottom of 27 lbs of mashed grain !  >:(

I tried just going with it but it became clear that the little trickle of wort I could get going was going to take me all afternoon to sparge. So I decided to take all of the hot, wet, sticky mash out of my mash tun, put into by boil kettle, re-attach the disconnected false bottom, then put the mash back in the mashtun, re-circ, then sparge again.  :P
I feel your pain.  Several times over the years I've had my pickup tube fall off in the bottom of the mash tun.  It's always fun, and it usually only add a couple of hours to the brewday.
I just got done with that and now the sparge is going beautifully. That was awfully thirsty work though so now I am having beer.  ;D
Life is wonderful in sunny White Signal New Mexico

Offline jmcamerlengo

• Brewmaster
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2012, 02:14:15 pm »
Weve all been there! And man does it suck!
Jason
-Head Brewer, Brewtus Brewers in the Shenango Valley. Hopefully opening a brewpub/nano brewery in the next couple years.

Offline ajk

• Brewer
  • Foam Blowers of Indiana (FBI)
That was painful
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2012, 02:20:39 pm »
Consider it your hot-side aeration experiment.

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2012, 02:24:35 pm »
I
Consider it your hot-side aeration experiment.

Not an issue in this case.

Anyway, I think this has happened to everyone at some point. ;D While it added a bit to the brewday it was more of a PITA than anything.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline redbeerman

• Senior Brewmaster
  • On the banks of the mighty Susquehanna in MD
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2012, 05:45:40 am »
Been there.   :P
CH3CH2OH - Without it, life itself would be impossible.

[441, 112.1deg] AR

Jim

Offline DrewG

• Brewer
  • Thread Killer
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2012, 12:15:14 pm »
I've done the "go in after it" method, and the "dump it in the kettle" method.

You made the right choice.
"Well, the Mexicans got a saying - what cannot be remedied must be endured."

-Barbarosa

Offline Jimmy K

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Delaware
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2012, 07:50:27 am »
My sympathies. This happened to me a few weeks ago.
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958