Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Ringwood Strain  (Read 4440 times)

Offline gmac

• Brewmaster General
  • London, Ontario
Ringwood Strain
« on: June 20, 2012, 09:03:24 am »
Wondered what you think of this strain. I'm a big fan of WLP007, not so big on WLP002 so I wondered how this compared and what you thought of this as an all-purpose strain (Am and Eng styles).
Thanks

Offline bwana

• Cellarman
Re: Ringwood Strain
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2012, 10:04:49 am »
I have read that Arcadia Brewing Company uses the Ringwood strain as there house strain. I enjoy all of their beers. I like the 007 for a more malty flavor. Take care.

Offline jmcamerlengo

• Brewmaster
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2012, 10:56:01 am »
Its a pretty picky difficult strain to work with. Especially on the first pitch. It can take a while to attenuate and drop out, and tends to leave a powdery yeast haze.  I've done it side by side with 002, 1968 and 1099 in a couple of my beers and I didnt prefer the Ringwood in any of them. But thats me. I believe its Dogfish house strain as well. I always encourage you to try it side by side in a beer youve brewed a couple times with the normal strain you use. Maybe brew somethnig up you would normally pitch 007 into and split the batch.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2012, 10:57:40 am by jmcamerlengo »
Jason
-Head Brewer, Brewtus Brewers in the Shenango Valley. Hopefully opening a brewpub/nano brewery in the next couple years.

Offline chumley

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2012, 11:51:15 am »
Lots of people don't like it, but I think it is a terrific yeast for British and American ales.  Pitch a lot of yeast, oxygenate, and rouse frequently.  Gets better and better using a whole yeast cake.  Use the final yeast cake to brew a big ole Russian Imperial Stout.

Offline Mark G

• Brewmaster
  • Huntley, IL
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2012, 12:16:27 pm »
Yeah, lots of people hate this strain. For English styles though, I really like it. Like others mentioned, just treat it well and it will perform well. I haven't tried it in American styles. I think 007 will be a better choice if you want something more versatile. You can get it to ferment pretty clean at lower temps. I think Ringwood has too much character for that.

Mark Gres

Offline jmcamerlengo

• Brewmaster
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2012, 01:01:16 pm »
Yeh I've found that it has quite a bit of character as well. Like I mentioned also, the first pitch can be a pain but after a use or 2 it starts to be more cooperative.
Jason
-Head Brewer, Brewtus Brewers in the Shenango Valley. Hopefully opening a brewpub/nano brewery in the next couple years.

Offline Slowbrew

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2012, 01:14:15 pm »
I use in a couple of recipes.  I've never had any issues with it but as other have said some people really dislike this yeast.

Paul
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?

Offline kylekohlmorgen

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Saint Louis, MO
    • The South House Pilot Brewery
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2012, 01:32:40 pm »
I used to use it for my IPAs (because "Extreme Brewing" says DFH uses it for 60 Min).

It IS a pain to work with, and I don't believe makes a beer "maltier" or "more English-like" than 007 or 002.

I thought Arcadia used an offshoot of the Fuller's strain?
Twitter/Instagram: @southhousebrew

Recipes, Brett/Bacteria Experiments: http://SouthHouseBeer.com/

Offline gmac

• Brewmaster General
  • London, Ontario
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2012, 06:04:46 am »
Ok, thanks. Maybe I will skip it if its that difficult to work with.

Offline mabrungard

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Water matters!
    • Bru'n Water
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2012, 10:14:40 am »
I've heard about the difficulties with Ringwood for years. I wonder if there is an issue with calcium content that this yeast presents?  Cranky fermentation performance and poor settling character could be attributed to insufficient calcium content.

We have plenty of data that indicates 50 ppm Ca is good enough. But one consideration is that some calcium is lost in the mash. Sierra Nevada aims for an 85 ppm Ca target so that they end up with 50 ppm in the kettle. Maybe Ringwood is just one of those yeast that need more Ca?
Martin B
Carmel, IN

BJCP National
Foam Blowers of Indiana (FBI)

Brewing Water Information at:
https://www.brunwater.com/

Like Bru'n Water on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/Brun-Water-464551136933908/?ref=bookmarks

Offline gmac

• Brewmaster General
  • London, Ontario
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2012, 12:23:06 am »
Well, I have calcium, no doubt about that.

Offline madscientist

• Brewer
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2012, 02:24:20 pm »
I think Cooperstown Brewing Company uses Ringwood. 
Homebrewed since 2010

Offline ajk

• Brewer
  • Foam Blowers of Indiana (FBI)
Ringwood Strain
« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2012, 09:20:31 pm »
Just tried Ringwood for the first time.  Wasn't much trouble; just took a little longer in the fermenter.  Around 50 ppm of Calcium.