Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: NHC Newbie Guide online  (Read 12141 times)

Offline garc_mall

• Brewmaster
  • [1892.9, 294.9deg] AR Lynnwood, WA
Re: NHC Newbie Guide online
« Reply #15 on: June 18, 2012, 11:02:05 am »
So what are some of the places around the Hotel people can go for good beer, some food, and more good beer?

I know there's a Rock Bottom and The Tap House Grill nearby, but maybe some locals can give a couple other suggestions.

Thanks. 

My rough estimate is somewhere around 100 places to get food within 5 or so blocks. You will not go hungry.

For good beer that goes with good food, Munchbar in Lincoln Square (1 skybridge away) has both, MOD Pizza also has good food, and I have heard they have good food. Red Robin has good burgers and usually has some halfway decent beer.

I don't intend on buying beer anywhere this weekend though, I will get food and water.

Offline jeffy

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Tampa, Fl
« Reply #16 on: June 18, 2012, 11:05:59 am »
So..... I understand there is no food included? A bunch of people drinking beer all day long on empty stomachs sounds like a highschool kegger.

There will of course be food at the banquet if you bought the whole package.  There is food in the hotel and in the nearby area around the hotel.  You're responsible for feeding yourself.  And nobody's forcing you to drink beer all day long...take a break.  Last yuear, I never drank more than a total of 4 pints in a day and I still got to try dozens of beers.
Chrispy told me he tried every beer at club night a couple years ago, but he had a glass the size of a thimble.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #17 on: June 18, 2012, 02:05:12 pm »

Chrispy told me he tried every beer at club night a couple years ago, but he had a glass the size of a thimble.

I can't verify that he tried every beer, but I remember the glass!  I just use my normal conference glass, but I don't start until late in the day and I only take a small taste of the beer.  I have decided that dying at the conference would kinda put a damper on things!
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #18 on: June 18, 2012, 02:29:30 pm »
I've seen several people wearing kilts last year...no problem there.

I took the AHA suggestion for dining and downloaded "Urban Spoon" and "Yelp" on my iPhone.  They seem well informed for my area anyway. I'll try them in Seattle.  :)
Ron Price

Offline snax

• 1st Kit
  • Dude, Where's My Brew?
« Reply #19 on: June 18, 2012, 09:44:06 pm »
So what are some of the places around the Hotel people can go for good beer, some food, and more good beer?

I know there's a Rock Bottom and The Tap House Grill nearby, but maybe some locals can give a couple other suggestions.

Thanks.
I arrived early for the Washington Brewers Fest and the Fremont Solstice Parade and Art Fair, and have been exploring Bellevue. As suggested, using Around Me, Yelp, or even Google Places review is a great resource. There's plenty of chain restaurants a skywalk away, but if you walk about 5-10 extra minutes there's some great places along Bellevue Way NE as well as on 2nd or Main. Mod's Speed Pizza, great pho at Pho All Day, Belle Pastry French bakery, and Chace's Pancake Corral are just a few tasty discoveries.

To get into Seattle you can catch the #550 that goes through Pioneer Square, near Pike Place Market and Pike Pub and Brewery.

Not nearby, but 10 miles by car is a great food and beer selection is Brouwer's Cafe in Fremont.
Debbie "Snax" Cerda
Austin Zealots | Texas Carboys | Austin Homebrew Appreciation Society | Austin Women's Homebrew League
AHA Governing Committee 2012 - present | Diversity Subcommittee, Co-Chair  | Content & Resources Subcommittee