Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: No hop flavour  (Read 4265 times)

Offline gmac

• Brewmaster General
  • London, Ontario
No hop flavour
« on: June 27, 2012, 01:37:22 pm »
I've noticed a real lack of hop flavour and aroma in the last few beers I've made.  The one major process change is the lack of an immersion chiller because it's broken so I've been putting the beer in tubs with ice/water.  The chilling is obviously slower.  Would this be the cause of less hop flavour and aroma?  I've been adding decent amounts of late hops but I'm just not perceiving them.  How important is fast chilling to preserving those flavours?  I wonder because others talk of hop stands where they let the hops seep for a while so what would the difference be?

Last beer had 1/2 oz of Magnum at 60 mins, 1 oz of Centennial and 1 oz of Amarillo at 10 mins and 1/2 oz of each at flameout and all I get is bitter (O.G. 1.042).  Yeast was WLP007.
What would you recommend for the best hop timings to get good hop flavour and aroma?
Thanks

Offline jmcamerlengo

• Brewmaster
Re: No hop flavour
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2012, 01:44:41 pm »
Yes that could certainly cause the issue.

I would recommend a blast of first wort hops for flavor and dry hop for aroma.
Jason
-Head Brewer, Brewtus Brewers in the Shenango Valley. Hopefully opening a brewpub/nano brewery in the next couple years.

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2012, 02:03:12 pm »
you cold try adding more hops part way through your chilling process like when the wort gets down to 160 or so. that should preserve some aroma and maybe some flavour
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

narvin

« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2012, 02:49:00 pm »
More late hops!  If I'm doing a hop stand (which I've done for my last couple of IPAs and loved the results), I like at least 2 - 4 oz of flameout hops.  I used 2 oz per 5 gallons for flameout and 2 oz of dry hop last time.

Offline anday6

• Cellarman
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2012, 02:57:16 pm »
If you are above 180 or so for an extended amount of time, you'll get isomerization and IBUs even after the boil.  Either shift all your additions to account for this (40 min addition with long chill to replace 60min, etc) or get that immersion chiller fixed or replaced.

Offline mabrungard

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Water matters!
    • Bru'n Water
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2012, 04:04:04 pm »
I heard an interesting report from Colin Kaminski during our Water Panel presentation at NHC this year.  He said that hop expression is muted as kettle wort pH is reduced. 

I had not put this effect together before in my mind.  But I had noticed that some low pH worts that I had produced in years past, did not seem as bitter nor hoppy.  I just never put the cause and effect together before.  So I think that Colin is correct that there is another effect of too low wort pH and that is low hop expression.  This is in addition to increased attenuation and tart flavor perceptions when wort pH is lower than ideal. 

So if the overall pH of the pre-boil wort in the kettle is less than about 5.2, you might experience this reduced hop expression.  It may be better to keep pre-boil pH around 5.4.  Of course, these are all room temperature pH measurements.

« Last Edit: June 28, 2012, 03:48:10 pm by mabrungard »
Martin B
Carmel, IN

BJCP National
Foam Blowers of Indiana (FBI)

Brewing Water Information at:
https://www.brunwater.com/

Like Bru'n Water on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/Brun-Water-464551136933908/?ref=bookmarks

Offline DrewG

• Brewer
  • Thread Killer
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2012, 10:16:22 am »
you cold try adding more hops part way through your chilling process like when the wort gets down to 160 or so. that should preserve some aroma and maybe some flavour

+1
"Well, the Mexicans got a saying - what cannot be remedied must be endured."

-Barbarosa