Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: That German lager flavor  (Read 134576 times)

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
Re: That German lager flavor
« Reply #180 on: August 06, 2012, 10:51:16 am »
There may be some credence to the effects of vessel geometry and how it can affect beer flavor. For example, the pressure that is on the yeast during fermentation and how that can effect the esters produced or lack there of. Troughs vs conical, etc..

Yes, that is probably the most difficult aspect to mimic. One could try pressurized primary fermentation, which has been done on the home brewing scale.

However, I think it is possible to get to this German flavor even w/o big fermenters. For the longest time I thought the 7 day primary fermentation at 8 C is only possible b/c of the strong circulations in larger fermenters until I saw in a paper that the same primary fermentation time can also be achieved in 20 l fermenters.

Kai

I tend to agree with you. 

I have a 14.6 gallon Blichmann conical that I fermented a 5 and 10 gallon batch of the same recipe only to achieve two very different flavor profiles.  The five gallon batch had a very estery flavor profile while the ten gallon batch exhibited a much more subdued ester profile (relatively speaking).  I believe that this is related to the pressure on the yeast during fermentation.  I think that the yeast are more prone to ester production when they have less pressure upon them during fermentation.  This isn't reasonably scientific but an observation that I noted.

Ron Price

Offline onthekeg

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #181 on: August 08, 2012, 10:36:59 pm »
Most of the time if the beer is brewed in a horizontal vessel, there is less pressure than with a vertical one such as a conical.
I believe historically German's used barrels for lagering.

Offline beersk

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • In the night!
« Reply #182 on: August 09, 2012, 07:17:07 am »
Most of the time if the beer is brewed in a horizontal vessel, there is less pressure than with a vertical one such as a conical.
I believe historically German's used barrels for lagering.

Yes, but it's probably not as common today.  My original intent was to find that "flavor" present in Spaten or Weihenstephaner lagers.  From what Kai says, it sounds like he is even still searching for it......
Jesse

Offline redbeerman

• Senior Brewmaster
  • On the banks of the mighty Susquehanna in MD
« Reply #183 on: August 09, 2012, 07:43:04 am »
I believe that "flavor" you are looking for may be related to late hop additions.  Ron made a Helles earlier this year that was somewhat over hopped at the end making it more of a pilsner, but the flavor that the late hops imparted reminided me very much of the elusive flavor that we have been looking for in our lagers.  More experimentation needs to be done, of course, but the results from this happy (hoppy?) accident are very promising.  I haven't yet had time to brew a helles using this hopping strategy (adding all late hops after 5 minutes left in the boil, no flavor addition), but I plan on doing one in the near future.  It will be a SMASH using German pils malt, Mittelfruh hops and WLP833 yeast.  It may sound strange getting a flavor component from an aroma charge, but I think the results will prove it out.  Please stand by............
CH3CH2OH - Without it, life itself would be impossible.

[441, 112.1deg] AR

Jim

Offline Kaiser

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Imperial Brewing Geek
    • braukaiser.com
« Reply #184 on: August 09, 2012, 08:00:44 am »
To comment on the effects of fermenter geometry, I found this German article (http://www.sachverstand-gutachten.de/veroeffentlichungen/veroeffentlichungen_brauerei_gaerungsnebenprodukte_braum_09_05.html) a while back. There is one pargraph worth translating:

When 25 years ago most big breweries moved from vats to conicals for fermentation they realizes that the necessary brewing procedures also depends on the available technology. In other words the change in fermenter geometry changes the flavor of the beer significantly of the rest of the brewing process is kept the same

This tells me that there is a lot of compensating that is done in breweries just to keep the beer flavor changes to a minimum. I suspect that if the beer flavor is allowed to change this change has to be gradual so it is not noticed by the consumer.

@redbeerman, yes I do think that the right hop presence in the aroma has a lot to do with that typical German flavor. My experiences however is that FWH and/or fairly early aroma hop additions do better than late aroma additions.

Kai

Offline redbeerman

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #185 on: August 09, 2012, 12:29:17 pm »
Have not tried FWH yet in a lager, but I know 20-10min additions won't give me the results I'm looking for.

[441, 112.1deg] AR

Jim

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #186 on: August 09, 2012, 12:48:49 pm »
Have not tried FWH yet in a lager, but I know 20-10min additions won't give me the results I'm looking for.

I always FWH my German pils and Maibock and I love the results.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline mmitchem

• Brewer
  • Suffolk, VA
    • http://www.barfclub.org
« Reply #187 on: August 09, 2012, 12:52:25 pm »

That sounds awesome, especially with the mellow bitterness you get from a FWH. I will try that once on my next Maibock, which was said to "need a little more hop bitterness" at NHC this year. Good tip!
Michael P Mitchem
Beer and Ale Research Foundation (B.A.R.F.)
AHA Member since 2011

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #188 on: August 09, 2012, 02:23:31 pm »

I'm going to try FWH my Ofest tomorrow.  I've never tried it on a German lager.  Should be interesting.
Ron Price

Offline malzig

• Brewer
« Reply #189 on: August 09, 2012, 07:17:51 pm »
I FWH all my German Lagers. My favorite Dunkel might come out with a little too much hop flavor (surprisingly much, considering how little hops go into the FWH, which is the only hop charge), but I love it. 

Offline redbeerman

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #190 on: August 10, 2012, 05:27:21 am »
Denny, do you calculate bitterness as a ~ 20 minute boil addition for FWH?  This is something that has caused me some confusion in the past, since it's more about perception of bitterness than actual bitterness.

Thanks,

Jim

[441, 112.1deg] AR

Jim

Offline Pawtucket Patriot

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Rebelling against cheap swill since 2005
    • Bauhaus Brew Labs
« Reply #191 on: August 10, 2012, 06:29:25 am »
What would the FWH addition look like for a German Pils?  And what would the rest of the additions look like?

Denny, IIRC, you calculate the perceived bitterness from a FWH addition as being similar to that of a 20 minute addition.  In addition to a 20 minute addition, I usually do 10, 5, and 0 minute additions for my German Pils.  If I were to FWH my Pils, would I still do the 10, 5, and 0 minute additions?
Matt Schwandt | Minneapolis, MN
AHA Member

Partial-Mash Pictorial
All-Grain Pictorial

Offline redzim

• Brewer
« Reply #192 on: August 10, 2012, 06:47:33 am »

A few month back I got pointed to a very good German TV documentary that highlighted how German beer had lost its way. For posterity, here is the link (http://www.zdf.de/ZDFmediathek/beitrag/video/1656374/ZDFzoom-Hopfen-und-Malz-verloren!#/beitrag/video/1656374/ZDFzoom-Hopfen-und-Malz-verloren) there are a few German speakers on this forum for which that might be useful.

Kai

Interesting film, just watched the first third of  it and will have to finish later...  and I think your other comments are unfortunately right on, in that there is no ONE thing to do to get that German beer experience except for us all to keep trying little tweaks to our various processes and sharing them here!  I've certainly gotten closer over the last 2 years and 8 or so batches of Pilsner plus at least that many other German styles (Helles, O-Fest, Schwarz, a variety of Bocks), thanks mainly to info and suggestions from you folks on this forum...

One thing I do have to say is that since adding a warmer-than-I-would-have-thought (~65-70F) maturation rest to my German beers, usually for only 48 hrs, I like the results... I think it does help to hit those final gravities and attenuate the beer out more fully.  I may have to try that for a week as Kai suggests...

-red

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #193 on: August 10, 2012, 06:53:38 am »

A few month back I got pointed to a very good German TV documentary that highlighted how German beer had lost its way. For posterity, here is the link (http://www.zdf.de/ZDFmediathek/beitrag/video/1656374/ZDFzoom-Hopfen-und-Malz-verloren!#/beitrag/video/1656374/ZDFzoom-Hopfen-und-Malz-verloren) there are a few German speakers on this forum for which that might be useful.

Kai

Interesting film, just watched the first third of  it and will have to finish later...  and I think your other comments are unfortunately right on, in that there is no ONE thing to do to get that German beer experience except for us all to keep trying little tweaks to our various processes and sharing them here!  I've certainly gotten closer over the last 2 years and 8 or so batches of Pilsner plus at least that many other German styles (Helles, O-Fest, Schwarz, a variety of Bocks), thanks mainly to info and suggestions from you folks on this forum...

One thing I do have to say is that since adding a warmer-than-I-would-have-thought (~65-70F) maturation rest to my German beers, usually for only 48 hrs, I like the results... I think it does help to hit those final gravities and attenuate the beer out more fully.  I may have to try that for a week as Kai suggests...

-red
The wife and I watched that program a while back, and were able to follow it pretty well with our meager German skills. Thought it was a good report on the state of German brewing.

When Kai mentioned the 70F rest, well that caught my eye. Will try that on my next Pils.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline Kaiser

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Imperial Brewing Geek
    • braukaiser.com
« Reply #194 on: August 10, 2012, 07:33:43 am »

red, unless you are already doing this, start doing the fast ferment test: http://braukaiser.com/wiki/index.php?title=Fast_Ferment_Test . It's result will help you guide your fermentation. W/o it you'll be flying in the dark.

Kai