Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: That German lager flavor  (Read 134569 times)

Offline davidgzach

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: That German lager flavor
« Reply #90 on: June 27, 2012, 11:45:07 am »
Some of us have a lo sensitivity to diacetyl. I know one guy who is pretty much blind to it.

Wow, that's interesting/surprising.
Dave Zach

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #91 on: June 27, 2012, 11:48:14 am »
So this talk about proper pitching rates and diacetyl raises another question in my mind. I have read that some folks recommend NOT aerating the wort and just pitching a full working population of yeast. It seems with lagers you must be pretty close to that full working population with no need for a growth phase. is diacetyl something that is produced during the growth phase and thus, if you pitch a really huge amount of yeast would not be a problem?
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline davidgzach

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #92 on: June 27, 2012, 11:50:33 am »
So this talk about proper pitching rates and diacetyl raises another question in my mind. I have read that some folks recommend NOT aerating the wort and just pitching a full working population of yeast. It seems with lagers you must be pretty close to that full working population with no need for a growth phase. is diacetyl something that is produced during the growth phase and thus, if you pitch a really huge amount of yeast would not be a problem?

I have pitched on top of a prior 2124 cake only, but a few times.  Each time it took off almost immediately and there were zero signs of diacetyl. 

Dave
Dave Zach

Offline beersk

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • In the night!
« Reply #93 on: June 27, 2012, 12:09:48 pm »

I have pitched on top of a prior 2124 cake only, but a few times.  Each time it took off almost immediately and there were zero signs of diacetyl. 

Dave
Without aerating the wort? I use a mix stir and I am wondering if I would be able to make up for the lack of aeration (as compared to pure O2) with pitching extra yeast.
Jesse

Offline davidgzach

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #94 on: June 27, 2012, 12:13:36 pm »
No, I missed that part.  I always aerate very well.

Dave
Dave Zach

Offline jmcamerlengo

• Brewmaster
« Reply #95 on: June 27, 2012, 12:14:59 pm »
Wouldn't excessive wort aeration cause more esters? Pitching more is going to just the opposite and create less and a more clean beer.

As far as D-rests go, I have found that if you start cold and rise to ferm temp 44-48 F area, that a D-rest is pretty much never necessary.
Jason
-Head Brewer, Brewtus Brewers in the Shenango Valley. Hopefully opening a brewpub/nano brewery in the next couple years.

Offline davidgzach

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #96 on: June 27, 2012, 12:19:58 pm »
Wouldn't excessive wort aeration cause more esters?

Jason,

Not sure what you mean here.  I just amply aerate the wort with a whisk before pitching the yeast, whether on top of the cake or directly.  When you say excessive, do you mean using pure O2 and putting in too much?

Dave
Dave Zach

Offline davidgzach

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #97 on: June 27, 2012, 12:29:43 pm »
Without aerating the wort? I use a mix stir and I am wondering if I would be able to make up for the lack of aeration (as compared to pure O2) with pitching extra yeast.
[/quote]

Just looked back at this.  Got off track a bit.  If you aerate properly with a mix stir, you are fine.  Pitching more yeast will not fix poor aeration.
Dave Zach

Offline jmcamerlengo

• Brewmaster
« Reply #98 on: June 27, 2012, 12:32:19 pm »

Jason,

Not sure what you mean here.  I just amply aerate the wort with a whisk before pitching the yeast, whether on top of the cake or directly.  When you say excessive, do you mean using pure O2 and putting in too much?

Dave

Yes thats what I mean!
Jason
-Head Brewer, Brewtus Brewers in the Shenango Valley. Hopefully opening a brewpub/nano brewery in the next couple years.

Offline beersk

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • In the night!
« Reply #99 on: June 27, 2012, 12:33:35 pm »
Quote from: beersk

Just looked back at this.  Got off track a bit.  If you aerate properly with a mix stir, you are fine.  Pitching more yeast will not fix poor aeration.
I have been under the impression that a mix stir will not aerate the wort enough for lagers.  2 or 3 minutes with a mix stir is all I usually do.
Jesse

Offline davidgzach

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #100 on: June 27, 2012, 12:34:48 pm »

Jason,

Dave

Yes thats what I mean!

Yep, that makes sense.  Wasn't sure if I was reading it properly......
Dave Zach

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #101 on: June 27, 2012, 12:39:20 pm »
Some of us have a lo sensitivity to diacetyl. I know one guy who is pretty much blind to it.

Wow, that's interesting/surprising.
About 20% of the population is blind to diacetyl.

I know one guy who is hypersensitive to diacetyl, but is blind to DMS. This is just like color blindness in its own way.

We all have strengths and weekness in our palate. That is why you want more than one judge, Bigger breweries know who can taste what and make sure there is a mix of sensitivities on the tasting panels they do daily.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #102 on: June 27, 2012, 12:49:48 pm »

Actually....pitching more yeast is an alternative to aeration.  The purpose of aeration is to provide O2 for the yeast to synthesize sterols, whiuch the yeast use to build cells walls when the replicate.  If you pitch enough yeast, there is little to no need for tham to do that.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline davidgzach

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #103 on: June 27, 2012, 01:00:33 pm »
I remember reading that to have a healthy fermentation you need the yeast to reproduce at least a certain amount. Also remember a thread where Tom explained this.  I'll try to find it.
Dave Zach

Offline Pawtucket Patriot

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Rebelling against cheap swill since 2005
    • Bauhaus Brew Labs
« Reply #104 on: June 27, 2012, 01:45:33 pm »
Quote from: beersk

I have been under the impression that a mix stir will not aerate the wort enough for lagers.  2 or 3 minutes with a mix stir is all I usually do.

I've been using a mix-stir to aerate my lagers for almost two years without issue.  I have excellent lager fermentations that attenuate completely. 
Matt Schwandt | Minneapolis, MN
AHA Member

Partial-Mash Pictorial
All-Grain Pictorial