Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: building vs. buying mash tun  (Read 6819 times)

Offline markcrum

• 1st Kit
building vs. buying mash tun
« on: July 25, 2012, 04:15:33 pm »
I was given the basic home brew kit as a present for Xmas and have been brewing kits. Feel its time to step up to the all-grain side of the art of brewing. Been looking at mash tuns online and they seem very expensive. Seems I could build one a lot more economically, however, I'm not the most mechanically inclined person. Looking for thoughts on building vs. buying and best coolers to use (ie: round vs. square)

Offline thebigbaker

• Brewmaster
  • Denver, CO
Re: building vs. buying mash tun
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2012, 04:41:49 pm »
I was given the basic home brew kit as a present for Xmas and have been brewing kits. Feel its time to step up to the all-grain side of the art of brewing. Been looking at mash tuns online and they seem very expensive. Seems I could build one a lot more economically, however, I'm not the most mechanically inclined person. Looking for thoughts on building vs. buying and best coolers to use (ie: round vs. square)

Building one is very easy and you can find several sources online to show you how to build one.  I found a 48qt rectangular cooler on Craigslist for $10.  I made mine with a stainless braid and ball valve and found everything I needed at the local hardware store for about $20 and I'm sure you could probably do it cheaper.
Jeremy Baker

"An escalator can never break: it can only become stairs. You should never see an Escalator Temporarily Out Of Order sign, just Escalator Temporarily Stairs. Sorry for the convenience." - Mitch Hedberg

Offline sparkleberry

• Brewer
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2012, 04:51:52 pm »
cheers.

rpl
apertureales

Offline markcrum

• 1st Kit
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2012, 05:30:59 pm »
Thanks for the link, appears cost-effective and simple -- everything I was looking for!

Offline sparkleberry

• Brewer
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2012, 05:38:50 pm »
that's the Denny way.
cheers.

rpl
apertureales

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2012, 10:28:11 am »
Thanks for the link, appears cost-effective and simple -- everything I was looking for!

I've used it for 425 batches and it still works great!
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline garc_mall

• Brewmaster
  • [1892.9, 294.9deg] AR Lynnwood, WA
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2012, 01:51:12 pm »
My only recommendation is to look at the cooler you are getting, and make sure that the drain port is very low on the side of the cooler. The cooler I am using currently (it was a cooler I wasn't using) has a rather high drain port, and the dead space is currently reducing my efficiency.

Offline weithman5

• Senior Brewmaster
  • naperville, il
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2012, 02:44:26 pm »
i have both blue rectangular cooler and igloo. i switched to the igloo when switched to smaller batches. i have yet to move over the braid. i have just been using a grain sack to hold the grain during the mash and works pretty well.
Don AHA member

Offline kramerog

• Brewmaster General
    • My LinkedIn page
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2012, 04:10:18 pm »
http://hbd.org/cascade/dennybrew/

The above is a good design for batch sparging.  The manifold for fly sparging is a more complicated.  The pros and cons of batch vs fly is the subject of many threads here.

As you are just beginning to get into all-grain, it is probably easier for you to start with batch sparging.  I have a three tier system indoors that I fly sparge with.  When I brew outside, I do batch sparge. 

Offline kgs

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Sonoma County, CA
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2012, 06:35:52 am »
It's a tiny bit more, but I'm very happy with the hardware sold by bargainfittings.com. I am rebuilding* my mash tun and just put a valve in my kettle, and I like the three-part stainless steel ball valves I can break down and clean as needed. Plus they sell the plumbing supply lines converted for use. But I started with the bare minimum (when we were a one-job household) and it still made beer!

* Going from 5 gallon to 9 gallon, cylindrical to rectangular
K.G. Schneider
AHA Member

Offline theDarkSide

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Derry, NH
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2012, 06:46:03 am »
I built this one 4 years ago and it works great:

http://brewing.lustreking.com/gear/mashtun.html

The only modification I've made is adding a Bazooka screen instead of the SS mesh from a supply line for the manifold.  Holds temperature very well ( 1-2 F drop over an hour )
Seacoast Homebrew Club - Portsmouth, NH
AHA Member
Stephen Mayo
------------------------------------------------

Offline Upstate Dan

• Cellarman
  • Albany, NY
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2012, 07:15:18 am »
Just to give you a confidence boost - I am mechanically inept and was able to build a mash tun like the ones in the links with ease!