Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Oh man, I've been doing Thai food wrong  (Read 10438 times)

Offline nateo

• Brewmaster General
Oh man, I've been doing Thai food wrong
« on: June 27, 2012, 06:43:01 pm »
http://www.shesimmers.com/2010/06/easy-thai-green-curry-recipe-interview.html

I had no idea you want the fat to separate from the coconut milk. I tried doing that on a curry tonight and it made a big difference.
In der Kürze liegt die Würze.

Offline ryang

• Brewer
  • Indian Hills CO
Re: Oh man, I've been doing Thai food wrong
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2012, 12:50:55 pm »
We were told this fact while my wife and I were in Thailand by some friends.  Now we know why the curry paste we get from the Asian market says to fry the paste and coconut milk.  We experimented with lowfat coconut milk and it's not quite there.  Still tasty and a little lower on the calorie side, but not the same.
We enjoy that blog.  Lots of good information there.

Edit: We use the same curry paste as she has linked in her post, Maesri.  As far as I'm concerned, it's very high quality.  Our Thai friends (that live here in CO) use that paste as well.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2012, 12:54:58 pm by ryang »

Offline redbeerman

• Senior Brewmaster
  • On the banks of the mighty Susquehanna in MD
Re: Oh man, I've been doing Thai food wrong
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2012, 12:56:50 pm »
http://www.shesimmers.com/2010/06/easy-thai-green-curry-recipe-interview.html

I had no idea you want the fat to separate from the coconut milk. I tried doing that on a curry tonight and it made a big difference.

Mine always separates and I thought I was doing it wrong!  :o  We can get fresh ingredients here and I have made both red and green curries from scratch.  They are very fragrant and yummy.  I got the recipes on line from some Thai woman's cooking site.  We are growing our own lemongrass this year.
CH3CH2OH - Without it, life itself would be impossible.

[441, 112.1deg] AR

Jim