Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: should i repitch?  (Read 3489 times)

Offline lynzlee

• 1st Kit
should i repitch?
« on: June 20, 2012, 06:33:49 pm »
i brewed the breakwater pale ale recipe from northern brewer saturday. i live in the desert, so it's hot here, even with my air conditioning on. i pitched the yeast (safale us-o5 ale yeast) at about 76 degrees. optimum high temp is 75. the room i have my carboy in is cool (about 74-75) but nothing was happening. i did the ol water tub and towel wrap, and it's been down at 68 since. however, there are only tiny bubbles, no blow off. it's been about four days so i doubt any active fermentation will take off now. should i pitch more yeast? if so, how much? thoughts? ...and thanks!

Offline jamminbrew

• Brewmaster
  • theAntipunk
Re: should i repitch?
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2012, 07:08:18 pm »
Did you rehydrate your yeast, or make a starter? How old was the yeast packet? Did you take a gravity reading before pitching?  If you did, take another reading and see if it has changed.  I've had a few brews that didn't look like they took off, but were fermenting away just the same. IMHO, adding more yeast won't hurt anything, but without pinpointing the cause, may not do anything either. Just a word of advise: invest in a chest freezer or fridge for your temp control. It has made a world of difference for me. 8)
In caelo cerivisiae nil, hic igitur bibimus.

Offline lornemagill

• Assistant Brewer
  • Austin/Round Rock, TX
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2012, 07:44:24 pm »
check to see if lid/cap/bung is secure, stir with a sterile spoon or shake.

Offline liquidbrewing

• Brewer
  • OG - FG x 131= ABV%
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2012, 05:22:41 am »
If you pitched at 76 it would actually create a real vigorous ferment.  I guess based on your OG though.  All of my brews are typically over 1.060 so I usually have blowoff with US-05, unless I ferment really cold.

If you're gonna repitch at this point, rehydrate it.  The old towel and cold water trick is good in a pinch.  But, you should really think about a more consistent fermentation chamber.  You can do it cheaper than you think, if you have room for an extra fridge.

I agree with taking a SG reading before pitching.
Justin
Liquid Brewing, Co.
"Find Your Own Level"

Offline davidgzach

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2012, 06:18:30 am »
+1 to taking a gravity reading/having a look in the fermenter before doing anything.  I can't tell you how many times I had no activity because my lid was not snapped all the way on and I opened the bucket to see it was fermenting away.....

Unless it's on carpet, I would give it a gentle swirl after reclosing the lid to push out any O2 that got in there.

Dave
Dave Zach

Offline lynzlee

• 1st Kit
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2012, 06:22:05 pm »
thanks guys, i just checked the gravity, it went from OG of 1.038 and is now at 1.017. so would you let it ride? i appreciate the help! still pretty new to this!

also, yeast was dry, but new, and i just tossed it in there. still nothing resembling vigorous fermentation.

Offline Hokerer

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Manassas, VA
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2012, 07:13:19 pm »
thanks guys, i just checked the gravity, it went from OG of 1.038 and is now at 1.017. so would you let it ride? i appreciate the help! still pretty new to this!

also, yeast was dry, but new, and i just tossed it in there. still nothing resembling vigorous fermentation.

With that low of an original gravity, you probably weren't going to see a real vigorous fermentation anyways.
Joe

Offline jamminbrew

• Brewmaster
  • theAntipunk
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2012, 07:57:46 pm »
Yeah, let it ride. But I do recommend rehydrating your yeast first. It will give your yeast the best chance for success.
In caelo cerivisiae nil, hic igitur bibimus.

Offline lynzlee

• 1st Kit
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2012, 09:23:58 pm »
i appreciate your help. thanks guys!