Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: How do you step up an IPA to Double IPA?  (Read 7941 times)

Offline kraftwerk

• Assistant Brewer
How do you step up an IPA to Double IPA?
« on: June 22, 2012, 01:11:33 pm »
Hey kids, what are some general guidelines for stepping up your favorite all-grain IPA to a double IPA? I'm thinking a little hop extract in the boil to avoid grassy/vegetal flavors from over hopping. Then probably a lot of late boil, whirlpool and dry hops. I've keg hopped with great success in the past, too.

As far as grain bill goes, do I just dial up my base and specialty malts proportionally to one another? I don't have my recipe in front of me but can post later for further input. Thanks!
« Last Edit: June 22, 2012, 01:37:03 pm by kraftwerk »
Beer is like music. I don't have a favorite. I'll take a well-made example of any style!

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
Re: How do you step up an IPA to Double IPA?
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2012, 01:54:09 pm »
Take the following with a grain of salt as I have not brewed a DIPA as of yet.

When I drink one though my impression is of a big but drinkable brew. Berryessa brewing here in northern cali makes a really great one that is so smooth you wouldn't know it was a 10% bruiser.

I think the trick to that is keeping the FG pretty low and bumping the IBUs up enough to balance the added alcahol and sweetness. The difference between a DIPA and an american barley wine, in my mind, is that the DIPA is lighter bodied and cleaner while the Barley Wine is chewy and rich and a little sweet.

I would want to add more base malt but also add some simple sugars to bump the OG without the corresponding bump in FG.

lots of late, whirlpool, dry, and keg hopping would also be critical I would think to get that huge fresh hop character.

At least that's what I plan to do when I brew one.  ;D
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2012, 05:09:24 pm »
I haven't stepped my IPA recipe up to an IIPA yet, but my plan is basically to add sucrose to my existing grain bill to end up being about 10% of my total fermentables, then adjust the base to get to the target OG I want. I will probably replace some or all of the crystal malt with something like Munich or Victory to keep it super dry but leave at least a little malty or toasty counterpoint to the hops.

Everything I've heard leads me to believe that IBU's max out somewhere between 50 and 80, so I'm not worried about overshooting my BU:GU ratio. I'm probably going to do my usual 1/2 oz of Columbus or Chinook at 60 minutes then stuff an insane amount of hops over the last 20 minutes.

The only other big changes from my base IPA recipe will be holding my hot hop stand for about 90 minutes, and splitting up my dry hops over 3 or 4 additions about 3 days apart. I want to really max out the hop flavor wherever I can.

One other suggestion I've heard is to shoot for a pH on the low end. Supposedly this really helps the hops flavor pop. I would imagine this is especially true if you want to accentuate citrus flavor and aroma.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline kraftwerk

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2012, 01:02:42 pm »
As promised, here's my original IPA recipe (based on Maui's Big Swell)

8.5 lb pale malt  (62.3%)
2.0 lb 40L crystal (15.1%)
1.0 lb 10L crystal (7.5%)
1.0 lb munich I (7.5%)
1.0 lb flaked maize (7.5%)

1.0 oz Cascade
1.0 oz Citra
1.0 oz Magnum
2.0 oz Simcoe (keg hop)

So to step it up to a IIPA, my idea here is to do a small first wort addition, use about 6-9ml hop extract at the beginning and boil for 90 min. Then, as stated above, additions at flameout, whirlpool, dry hop and keg hop. I'll probably boost the base malt % and add some simple sugar (as per morticai's suggestion) to augment the fermentables so I can keep the body on the lighter side and get a little more booze in there.

I want to get just a little more sweetness than normal to balance the hops, alcohol and carbonation (shooting for about 1.080 or so.) So, what is a good target saccrification rest? Thanks for all the suggestions! Keep the conversation going!
Beer is like music. I don't have a favorite. I'll take a well-made example of any style!

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2012, 06:59:00 pm »
I want to get just a little more sweetness than normal to balance the hops, alcohol and carbonation (shooting for about 1.080 or so.) So, what is a good target saccrification rest? Thanks for all the suggestions! Keep the conversation going!

Generally, the target sweetness level on an IIPA is less than it is for a standard IPA. A sweet IIPA can get cloying pretty fast. Alcohol is pretty much a substitute for sweetness when it comes to balance in a finished beer. For example, Pliny finishes at roughly 1.010. A lot of IIPA's finish in the single digits FG.

I really recommend caution with crystal malts in an IIPA.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline jamminbrew

• Brewmaster
  • theAntipunk
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2012, 07:14:44 pm »
My recommendation, (and this is just what I would do) is to drop the 40*L crystal, bump your pale malt to 12-14 lbs, and add a pound of sugar, cane or some other simple sugar will do. The current issue of Zymurgy had an excellent guideline for malt bills in regards to various types of IPAs.
In caelo cerivisiae nil, hic igitur bibimus.

Offline kraftwerk

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2012, 12:42:08 pm »

Generally, the target sweetness level on an IIPA is less than it is for a standard IPA. A sweet IIPA can get cloying pretty fast. Alcohol is pretty much a substitute for sweetness when it comes to balance in a finished beer.

Good call. I totally didn't think of that.

Offline chezteth

• Brewmaster
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2012, 05:35:30 am »
In addition to the excellent suggestions so far... I will also add that you should lower your mash temp to 149 deg. F to help with the attenuation.  This, in addition to the addition of sugar, will help ensure your IIPA ferments out properly.

Cheers,
Brandon

Offline Tristan

• Assistant Brewer
  • Bastage Inc.
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2012, 07:39:07 am »
Looks like an awesome recipe.  I'd suggest deleting the crystal malts and the flaked maize; maize to me it increases the front end sweetness even though the finish seems drier.  With all the added alcohol the perception could be a beer that is too sweet.

Also, you may want to pick a yeast that attenuates highly.  I really like the San Diego Super Yeast.  Last time I used it I got about 83% attenuation (American Blonde Ale, OG 1.050 mashed at 152).

Just a random thought, but it would be cool to do a step mash or a hochurz decoction (http://braukaiser.com/wiki/index.php?title=Decoction_Mashing#Hochkurz_Double_Decoction) with a IIPA.  I wonder if this would have the same effect as performing the procedure on a German Pilsner, malty but dry.  Maybe mash in thick (.9 qt/lb) at 140-145, then infuse high 150s (158) and then another infusion or a decoction for mash out (168-170).  This might be fun.  FWIW I like doing decoctions so when I brew my next IIPA I'd probably do a double infusion single decoction, just for giggles.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2012, 07:44:33 am by Tristan »
Bastage Brewery:
Primary: ESB
Kegged: Baltic Porter|Blackened Doo Doo|CAP|German Pils|Infinity India Black Ale|Maibock|Munich Dunkel|Panty Raid APA|Schwartzbier|Turbo Coffee Porter
Next: Sweet Bidness Stout|Bastagewine

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
How do you step up an IPA to Double IPA?
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2012, 08:30:40 am »
It's not just as simple as bumping up the hops and malt. You will want to really add a lot of late hops (hop bursting) in the last 10 minutes and more dry hops then you would think necessary. Also, the key to a good IIPA (IMO) is to have a fairly dry, uncomplicated malt bill. Use 5-10% of sugar and a mirroring amount of crystal malt to give the beer some background "sweetness" while drying the beer out so that it will not be too cloying. A good IIPA should be a showcase for the hops with the malt playing a supporting role to hold up the balance of the beer so that it doesn't become harshly bitter. I keep my BUs down around 80 with the largest hop burst going in a WP and then an equally large addition added at dry hop.