Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Gonna Get Some Vienna Malt  (Read 6097 times)

Offline Jeff Renner

• Cellarman
  • Ann Arbor, Michigan, USA
Re: Gonna Get Some Vienna Malt
« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2010, 07:27:48 am »
I love an all-Vienna lager.  Right now I have a 1.052/1.012, 23 IBU O'fest/Maertzen on tap that tastes terrific.  I used Durst Vienna.

I brewed it with a pseudo-decoction, which is essentially the same procedure as a cereal mash for adjunct, but with all malt.  I have an article in Zymurgy coming up on this technique.  It gives much of the flavor of a decoction with less time, trouble and potentially oxidizing handling.

I mashed in 1/3 of the malt at ~150F, very thick, in a pot and rested it 20 minutes in a preheated oven, then put the pot into a big pressure cooker and cooked it at 15 psi (1 atm) for 35 minutes.  This was mostly to develop flavors and some color.  A slight improvement in efficiency is incidental.  Then after it had cooled, I added it to the main mash, which had been resting at ~144F for 40 minutes, which raised it to 158F.  Rested this 20 minutes and then mashed out and lautered.

I used Perle and Mt. Hood hops 2:1 on an IBU basis added at the beginning of a 70 minute boil.  No finishing hops.  Fermented at 50F with WLP833 German Bock, my favorite lager yeast, then lagered at 32F.

It's malty without being sweet (77% apparent attenuation, resting the main mash at 144F helps), elegant, spicy (I find a spicy character from Vienna malt), with just enough bitterness to support the malt.  The color is right on the money.
AHA Member since 1980, Life Member
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild charter member (1986)
AHA Governing Committee (2002 - 2011)
BJCP since 1991, National
"One never knows, do one?"  Fats Waller, American Musician, 1904-1943

Offline ndcube

• Brewmaster
« Reply #16 on: February 12, 2010, 08:24:53 am »

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #17 on: February 12, 2010, 09:16:40 am »
Jeff, I seem to recall a discussion of pressure cooker decoctions on HBD years ago.  Was that you back then?  I'm looking forward to reading your article.  May be the impetus I need to finally buy a pressure cooker!
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Jeff Renner

• Cellarman
« Reply #18 on: February 12, 2010, 09:47:21 am »
Denny - it was Spencer Thomas first and then I followed up later.  I think we had talked about it at AABG meetings first, but can't remember for sure.  He did a head-to-head taste comparison of pressure cooked full decoction and normal mash.  My contribution was the pseudo-decoction with two separate, parallel mashes, one of which is boiled, with or without a pressure cooker, and then combined.

Offline blatz

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Paul Blatz - Jupiter, FL
« Reply #19 on: February 12, 2010, 10:04:13 am »
Ndcube - I would not brew anything out of that book.

Jeff - very interesting technique - thanks for sharing.  I might have to give that a whirl.

BTW - do you have a recommended pressure cooker unit?  I am looking to purchase one.
The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

BJCP National: F0281

Offline ndcube

• Brewmaster
« Reply #20 on: February 12, 2010, 10:05:55 am »

Yeah, it looked pretty sketchy.

Offline Jeff Renner

• Cellarman
« Reply #21 on: February 12, 2010, 10:21:24 am »
BTW - do you have a recommended pressure cooker unit?  I am looking to purchase one.

I have a 21 quart "All-American" brand model #921, made in Manitowoc, Wisconsin.  It has a metal to metal seal - no gasket to wear out.  It's probably 30 years old.  I think they're still being made.

It's big enough to hold the two-gallon pot that I do the small mash in.  You don't want to apply heat directly to the malt.  as a matter of fact, that's a big advantage of using a pressure cooker - you don't have to stir the way you do when you heat directly.

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #22 on: February 12, 2010, 10:28:31 am »
Denny - it was Spencer Thomas first and then I followed up later.  I think we had talked about it at AABG meetings first, but can't remember for sure.  He did a head-to-head taste comparison of pressure cooked full decoction and normal mash.  My contribution was the pseudo-decoction with two separate, parallel mashes, one of which is boiled, with or without a pressure cooker, and then combined.

Thanks for the clarification!  I guess that being old enough to remember that kind of stuff on HBD also means that I'm old enough to to not remember it!  ;)

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #23 on: February 12, 2010, 10:29:42 am »

This ^^^

www.dennybrew.com