Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Barley Crusher  (Read 3284 times)

Offline thebigbaker

• Brewmaster
  • Denver, CO
Barley Crusher
« on: June 22, 2012, 12:04:14 pm »
Thanks for all the advice in a previous thread regarding grain mills.  I decided to get the 7lb Barley Crusher. 

The factory setting for the gap is set at .39 thousands of an inch (1mm).  Does most leave it at this setting or do you change it?  If you change it, what the gap space that you use?

Thanks.
Jeremy Baker

"An escalator can never break: it can only become stairs. You should never see an Escalator Temporarily Out Of Order sign, just Escalator Temporarily Stairs. Sorry for the convenience." - Mitch Hedberg

Offline davidgzach

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: Barley Crusher
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2012, 12:13:08 pm »
I left mine there with great results.  I think the only reason to lower it would be if you want to condition your malt.  Others can comment on that.

Dave
Dave Zach

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2012, 12:18:11 pm »
I monkeyed with mine using gap-feelers. My suggestion is to leave it as is unless you are experiencing problems.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline Slowbrew

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2012, 12:19:24 pm »
I closed mine down to .32.  A finer crush helps increase efficiency but you can go too far.  I went down to .25 - .28 and it was like sparging concrete.  8^)

Grain conditioning does help if you are going close up the gap.  Give the mill a try at .39 and see how it works.  You can always play with it later.

Paul
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?

Offline thebigbaker

• Brewmaster
  • Denver, CO
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2012, 01:12:29 pm »
Thanks everyone. I'll leave it at .39 and keep it there as long as I don't have any problems.   
Jeremy Baker

"An escalator can never break: it can only become stairs. You should never see an Escalator Temporarily Out Of Order sign, just Escalator Temporarily Stairs. Sorry for the convenience." - Mitch Hedberg

Offline Titanium Brewing

• Assistant Brewer
  • Westchester, CA
    • The Peoples Republic of the Garage™
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2012, 01:43:25 pm »
I left mine at the default. My effciencey has increased about 10% compared from the LBHS grist
AHA #210799

My wife said I was delusional. I almost fell off my unicorn laughing.

Offline gymrat

• Brewmaster
  • Ralph's Brewery
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2012, 08:34:55 am »
I left mine at factory setting. My efficiency is generally around 80% going by my BrewTarget software.
Ralph's Brewery
Topeka, KS