Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Comet Hops?  (Read 4890 times)

Offline hoser

• Brewmaster
Comet Hops?
« on: June 15, 2012, 08:46:10 am »
Anyone have some tips or leads on where I could find some Comet Hops?  Hopsdirect and Barleyhaven have only places I have been able to find online that them listed, but both are sold out >:(

I hear they lend some "wild" notes to a beer in addition to some citrus fruit and lemongrass.  The lemongrass is the flavor/aroma quality I am after.  Is there another more readily available hop that has a lemongrass quality to it that I could sub for Comet/

Thanks.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
Re: Comet Hops?
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2012, 09:04:33 am »
This won't help, but I have a pound I have been waiting to use. They are whole flower. I searched high and dry for pellets and never found any. Maybe next year.

Offline hoser

• Brewmaster
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2012, 09:15:12 am »
This won't help, but I have a pound I have been waiting to use. They are whole flower. I searched high and dry for pellets and never found any. Maybe next year.

I have noticed that all I have been able to find listed is whole flower.  At this point I don't have a preference.  Nebraska Brewing Company here in Nebraska made a real nice hoppy wheat with this beer.  They really liked the results and are going to use the remainder of their stash for another beer.  I tried to barter for a couple of ounces to no avail. :P

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2012, 09:30:42 am »
I haven't tried it myself, but supposedly NZ Super Alpha has some pine and lemongrass flavors going on. Rebel Brewer has some in stock as far as I can see.

Otherwise, maybe you can try a blend of Sorachi Ace plus a noble hop to get you lemon plus some floral/herbal notes?
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline onthekeg

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2012, 09:46:21 am »
I have a pound of them in my freezer and keep looking at them, but haven't used them yet.  There doesn't seem to be much information on them out on the internet.