Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Panama Red American Wheat  (Read 5045 times)

Offline duboman

• Senior Brewmaster
Panama Red American Wheat
« on: June 21, 2012, 06:55:21 am »
Looking for a little input on this. Want to make a Reddish colored American wheat with lemony/citrus hop profile so this is what I came up with on first concept. Using the Melanoiden for the red color and not getting the degree of red but afaid any more will make this too malty or do I have enough hop to balance? Any suggested adjustments are appreciated, I am not really a "to style" guy so the ABV and SRM are not overly important but I want this to be a nice summer satisfier, thanks!

Recipe: Panama Red Wheat
Brewer: Commune Brewing Company
Asst Brewer:
Style: American Wheat or Rye Beer
TYPE: All Grain
Taste: (30.0)

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Boil Size: 8.97 gal
Post Boil Volume: 7.47 gal
Batch Size (fermenter): 6.25 gal   
Bottling Volume: 5.75 gal
Estimated OG: 1.055 SG
Estimated Color: 6.0 SRM
Estimated IBU: 42.3 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 70.00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 81.2 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amt                   Name                                     Type          #        %/IBU         
15.1 oz               Rice Hulls (Briess) (0.0 SRM)            Adjunct       1        6.6 %         
5 lbs 11.0 oz         Pale Malt (6 Row) US (2.0 SRM)           Grain         2        40.1 %       
5 lbs 10.8 oz         White Wheat Malt (2.4 SRM)               Grain         3        40.0 %       
13.3 oz               Melanoidin (Weyermann) (30.0 SRM)        Grain         4        5.9 %         
11.4 oz               Rye Malt (Briess) (3.7 SRM)              Grain         5        5.0 %         
5.3 oz                Munich (Cargill) (9.5 SRM)               Grain         6        2.3 %         
0.50 oz               Sorachi Ace [12.00 %] - First Wort 60.0  Hop           7        18.1 IBUs     
0.33 oz               Amarillo Gold [8.50 %] - Boil 30.0 min   Hop           8        5.9 IBUs     
0.33 oz               Amarillo Gold [8.50 %] - Boil 20.0 min   Hop           9        4.7 IBUs     
0.25 oz               Ahtanum [6.00 %] - Boil 20.0 min         Hop           10       2.5 IBUs     
0.31 tsp              Irish Moss (Boil 10.0 mins)              Fining        11       -             
0.50 oz               Sorachi Ace [12.00 %] - Boil 10.0 min    Hop           12       6.0 IBUs     
0.33 oz               Amarillo Gold [8.50 %] - Boil 10.0 min   Hop           13       2.8 IBUs     
0.25 oz               Ahtanum [6.00 %] - Boil 10.0 min         Hop           14       1.5 IBUs     
0.25 oz               Ahtanum [6.00 %] - Boil 5.0 min          Hop           15       0.8 IBUs     
0.25 oz               Ahtanum [6.00 %] - Boil 0.0 min          Hop           16       0.0 IBUs     
1.0 pkg               American Wheat Ale (Wyeast Labs #1010) [ Yeast         17       -             
1.25 tsp              Yeast Nutrient (Primary 3.0 days)        Other         18       -             

Mash Schedule: Double Infusion, Medium Body
Total Grain Weight: 14 lbs 2.9 oz
----------------------------
Name              Description                             Step Temperat Step Time     
Protein Rest      Add 3.19 gal of water at 132.1 F        122.0 F       30 min       
Saccharification  Add 2.84 gal of water at 192.6 F        152.0 F       30 min       
Mash Out          Add 2.48 gal of water at 211.0 F        168.0 F       10 min       

Sparge: Batch sparge with 2 steps (Drain mash tun, , 2.16gal) of 168.0 F water
Notes:
Peace....Love......Beer......

The Commune Brewing Company-Perfecting the craft of beer since 2010

Offline dak0415

• Brewmaster
  • Winston-Salem, NC
Re: Panama Red American Wheat
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2012, 07:27:34 am »
See what a couple of ounces of Carafa II special does to the color!  Back off to 6-8 oz of Melanoidin.
Dave Koenig
Anything worth doing - is worth overdoing!

Offline ccfoo242

• Brewmaster
  • I drank what? - Socrates
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2012, 07:35:52 am »
What about CaraRed? http://www.homebrewtalk.com/wiki/index.php/CaraRed

(not speaking from experience, just curious if that is a good choice for color)
Intra cervisiam est deus.

Offline dak0415

• Brewmaster
  • Winston-Salem, NC
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2012, 07:57:39 am »
Carared is at best, red-ish.  Al 20L you have to add a ton to get any kind of color contribution.  Add Carared to improve the mouthfeel in an otherwise red beer, not for color.
Dave Koenig
Anything worth doing - is worth overdoing!

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2012, 08:51:53 am »
I disagree. I think Cara Red makes a very red beer. You do have to use a lot of it, but it seems to be more fermentable than other crystal malts. But in a good portion it gives a deep red color. I don't have my recipes right now in front of me or I would give you the percentage.

Offline kylekohlmorgen

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Saint Louis, MO
    • The South House Pilot Brewery
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2012, 09:10:54 am »
I disagree. I think Cara Red makes a very red beer. You do have to use a lot of it, but it seems to be more fermentable than other crystal malts. But in a good portion it gives a deep red color. I don't have my recipes right now in front of me or I would give you the percentage.

+1 on the CaraRed

A little body will help this beer stand out as something unique rather than a hoppy wheat beer with coloring. It will offset the spiciness of the rye and the citrus punch of the hops.

From a malt flavor standpoint, you don't stand to gain much from the Melanoidin in this recipe. A better bet would be to split the base malt with Pale and Munich. This will make the malt profile less "muddy" and allow it to simply complement the hops, wheat, and rye.

Sounds like a great concept! Let us know how it turns out!
Twitter/Instagram: @southhousebrew

Recipes, Brett/Bacteria Experiments: http://SouthHouseBeer.com/

Offline duboman

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2012, 02:29:39 pm »

+1 on the CaraRed

A little body will help this beer stand out as something unique rather than a hoppy wheat beer with coloring. It will offset the spiciness of the rye and the citrus punch of the hops.

From a malt flavor standpoint, you don't stand to gain much from the Melanoidin in this recipe. A better bet would be to split the base malt with Pale and Munich. This will make the malt profile less "muddy" and allow it to simply complement the hops, wheat, and rye.

Sounds like a great concept! Let us know how it turns out!

Thanks to all, I will try to plug in some cara-red. What do you mean to "split the base with pale and munich, do you mean to take the 6-row in half and addin the balance with munich? Confused

Should I take out the Melanoidin all together? Appreciate the further insight.........Also, what percentage would you suggest for the carared or the carafaII?
« Last Edit: June 21, 2012, 02:35:58 pm by duboman »

Offline rjharper

• Brewmaster
    • Angry Scotsman Brewing
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2012, 03:19:50 pm »
An ounce of roasted barley or carafa III added to the mash at sparging time should add a lot of colour without much flavor.

Offline duboman

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2012, 03:38:05 pm »
My current IBU/SG ratio is about .73 so I am assuming I have enough IBU's to raise the level of maltiness without winding up with an overly malty American wheat and I do not want to lose the Rye component of the beer either. Should I consider 35% 6-Row, 35% Wheat, 10% Rye and then play with the percentages of the cara-red, caramunich II or other suggestions to get the real red I am looking for, 20% of the recipe seems like a lot for these specialty grains?