Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Mash schedules for Lagers  (Read 15899 times)

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Mash schedules for Lagers
« Reply #15 on: July 01, 2012, 11:21:16 am »
I have heard of people using melanoidin malt to emulate a decoction mash...anyone tried this with any luck?

You have to start by assuming that there's a flavor addition from decoction.  I'm not sure I can say that.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline davidgzach

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #16 on: July 02, 2012, 06:22:36 am »
Just had to add a thought to this thread.  IF the malts produced today are all well modified, why do all of the German breweries still perform Hochkurz mashes?  Yes, tradition is one thing, but if it didn't affect the flavor and quality of the beer, I would think they would all go to single infusion to save time and money.  Thoughts?

Dave
Dave Zach

rabeb25

« Reply #17 on: July 02, 2012, 06:29:23 am »
Do we ACTUALLY know they still do, the are unbelievably tight lipped about anything they do.

Offline nateo

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #18 on: July 02, 2012, 06:45:16 am »
A hochkurz infusion or decoction takes place only in the saccharification range, 142* and up. Would anyone argue saccharification rests at different temps would have no effect on wort composition?

AFAIK there is no, or very little, starch conversion that occurs during malting. Back to my original point about modification, anything that happens in the malt house (like protein degradation) doesn't have be duplicated in the brew house (like a protein rest). Anything that doesn't happen during malting (like starch conversion) has to happen in the brew house.   
In der Kürze liegt die Würze.

Offline beersk

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • In the night!
« Reply #19 on: July 02, 2012, 07:30:09 am »
I think Kai states on his website somewhere that most German breweries only do modified Hochkurz mash schedules these days.  They do a rest in the 140-145F range for a bit, decoct, then rest in the 158-162F range, then mash out.
Jesse

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #20 on: July 02, 2012, 09:17:24 am »
Do we ACTUALLY know they still do, the are unbelievably tight lipped about anything they do.

THIS^^^^^
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Pawtucket Patriot

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Rebelling against cheap swill since 2005
    • Bauhaus Brew Labs
« Reply #21 on: July 02, 2012, 12:12:41 pm »
I have heard of people using melanoidin malt to emulate a decoction mash...anyone tried this with any luck?

I've found melanoidin to add a particular flavor to my lagers, but it's not a flavor that was ever present in any of the decocted beers I've brewed.
Matt Schwandt | Minneapolis, MN
AHA Member

Partial-Mash Pictorial
All-Grain Pictorial