Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: 2012 SN Hoptimum  (Read 13767 times)

Offline brewmichigan

• Brewer
Re: 2012 SN Hoptimum
« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2012, 07:48:33 am »

I agree that this is a very nice beer.  I really like it a lot.  I would like it more if there was a little more maltiness though.  It seems a bit overbalanced on the hoppy side for an IIPA, IMHO.

I have a hard time with this statement. I see this quite a bit and understand what you're after but it's so funny how we're making IIPA's and making sure it's still malty enough. I know you're in search of some balance but to me a IIPA is meant to be unbalanced towards the hops. When I buy a IIPA I'm looking for enough malt to know it's a beer but it takes an extreme back seat to the hops.

With that said I think this beer, fresh, accomplishes just that. I like the hop forwardness and bittereness I get from this one. A great beer for less than 10 a 4 pack.
Mike --- Flint, Michigan

Offline punatic

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Puna District, Hawaii Island (UTC -10)
« Reply #16 on: May 10, 2012, 10:33:55 am »
Dogfish Head 90 Minute and Rogue I2PA are two IIPAs that come to mind when I think of malt-hop ballance.  Both are outstanding beers .

IIPAs are meant to be beers, not hop tinctures (IMHO)

This is not to say Hoptimum is not a very good beer, I just think it would benefit from a bit more malt sweetness.
There is only one success: to be able to spend your life in your own way.

AHA Life Member #33907

Offline brewmichigan

• Brewer
« Reply #17 on: May 10, 2012, 12:11:43 pm »
Dogfish Head 90 Minute and Rogue I2PA are two IIPAs that come to mind when I think of malt-hop ballance.  Both are outstanding beers .

IIPAs are meant to be beers, not hop tinctures (IMHO)

This is not to say Hoptimum is not a very good beer, I just think it would benefit from a bit more malt sweetness.

I agree with you on 90 Minute. I consider that more of a barleywine than an IIPA. I haven't had I2PA in awhile but I remember it being pretty balanced but more towards the hops.

I will continue drinking the Hoptimum though, fantastic beer.
Mike --- Flint, Michigan

Offline arsenal610

• Cellarman
    • The Beer Inspector
« Reply #18 on: June 21, 2012, 10:22:23 am »
I tried this last week and somewhat enjoyed it.   It was a fun experience, but I prefer other DIPA over this.  I think hop heads would enjoy this one!

Here's my vid review on it for those who would like to check it out:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nN8P-fdXyyA