Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: What effect will this have?  (Read 2223 times)

Offline dean

• Brewmaster
  • Me and Hayden, my newest grandson.
What effect will this have?
« on: February 11, 2010, 07:52:07 am »
If I add calcium to the mash and sparge to raise the RA to a level high enough for a very dark beer having a pH of 5.4, but it puts the calcium outside the window of 50 to 150 ppm (like 300ppm?)   What effect does it have on the finished beer?   ???

Offline ndcube

• Brewmaster
Re: What effect will this have?
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2010, 07:56:13 am »
I assume your adding it as chalk.  I would just add it to the mash.  In my experience sparging with water that contains bicarbonates raises the pH to high.

Offline dean

• Brewmaster
  • Me and Hayden, my newest grandson.
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2010, 08:18:12 am »
Yeh, it would be chalk and when I add to the sparge I actually add it to the mash again just before I add the sparge water, stir and let it sit several minutes.

I'm just wondering how having 300 ppm chalk would effect the taste etc. of the beer?  If you look at Dublin's water its within range on chalk being only 118 ppm yet its quite low on other minerals and has a high RA.   ???

Offline Thirsty_Monk

• Brewmaster General
  • Eau Claire WI
    • Lazy Monk Brewing
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2010, 09:59:36 am »
What effect does it have on the finished beer?   ???

It might taste too chalky.
You could also use Baking Soda to increase your Mash pH. (It will also increase your water hardness)

« Last Edit: February 11, 2010, 12:17:27 pm by Thirsty_Monk »
Na Zdravie

Lazy Monk Brewing
http://www.lazymonkbrewing.com

Offline Beertracker

• Brewer
  • ExperiFermenting since 1994!
    • Fellowship of Oklahoma Ale Makers (FOAM)
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2010, 11:39:53 am »
If you're using chalk, you'll definitely need to add it directly to the mash because of the solubility factor, but avoid over alkaline water because it can lead to undesirable phenolics depending upon conditions.  +1 on combining it with baking soda to reach your target pH, as at least you'll be adding some sodium to help accenuate the maltiness. I guess it really depends on what kind of "dark beer" you wanting to make?  ???  
« Last Edit: February 11, 2010, 01:23:09 pm by Beertracker »
CHEERS! Jeff
"A homebrewed beer is truly a superior beer." ~ "Buffalo" Bill Owens - American Brewer

Jeffrey Swearengin
Fellowship of Oklahoma Ale Makers (FOAM)
Tulsa, OK USA