Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: NHC 2014?  (Read 19853 times)

Offline thebigbaker

• Brewmaster
  • Denver, CO
Re: NHC 2014?
« Reply #15 on: July 03, 2012, 07:36:33 am »
I also heard Atlanta, but Michigan would be good too.  At the rate it's growing, they are going to need them at places like the Meadowlands or better yet, Gillette Stadium  ;D

Or the Georgia Dome, which is also right next to the Georgia World Congress Center and w/in walking distance of about 13,000 - 15,000 hotel rooms.
Jeremy Baker

"An escalator can never break: it can only become stairs. You should never see an Escalator Temporarily Out Of Order sign, just Escalator Temporarily Stairs. Sorry for the convenience." - Mitch Hedberg

Offline thebigbaker

• Brewmaster
  • Denver, CO
« Reply #16 on: July 03, 2012, 07:37:53 am »
What's wrong with 2013?

Maybe he's triskaidekaphobic  ;D

Ha, not quite.  Got married on Jan 13, 2007...Friday the 13th!
Jeremy Baker

"An escalator can never break: it can only become stairs. You should never see an Escalator Temporarily Out Of Order sign, just Escalator Temporarily Stairs. Sorry for the convenience." - Mitch Hedberg

Offline theDarkSide

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Derry, NH
« Reply #17 on: July 03, 2012, 07:57:22 am »
What's wrong with 2013?

Maybe he's triskaidekaphobic  ;D

Ha, not quite.  Got married on Jan 13, 2007...Friday the 13th!
:)
Seacoast Homebrew Club - Portsmouth, NH
AHA Member
Stephen Mayo
------------------------------------------------

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #18 on: July 03, 2012, 08:43:10 am »
Ohh ohh I know... but I can't tell... they might throw me in the river.
Oh come on Drew. Even if they DO throw in the river it's L.A. right? you just pick yourself up, dust off, pull the used syringe out of your bottom and walk back up the concrete viaduct. It's not like your even going to get wet!
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Online denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
NHC 2014?
« Reply #19 on: July 03, 2012, 09:49:05 am »
I can't say anything about where it might be, but I can tell you that I haven't heard any mention of Atlanta.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline theDarkSide

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Derry, NH
« Reply #20 on: July 03, 2012, 11:06:08 am »
I can't say anything about where it might be, but I can tell you that I haven't heard any mention of Atlanta.

Ya' know, Fred said the same thing on the shuttle back to the airport.  I think you guys are just touting the party line  ;).

Honestly, I'd like to survive Philly before worrying about 2014, but I understanding the people who can't make it next year.  I was in that same boat a couple years ago before attending Seattle for my first.
Seacoast Homebrew Club - Portsmouth, NH
AHA Member
Stephen Mayo
------------------------------------------------

Offline gmac

• Brewmaster General
  • London, Ontario
« Reply #21 on: July 03, 2012, 11:30:13 am »
+ 1 for Michigan.  It's about the only way I'll ever be able to attend (unless of course you'd consider Toronto)  :)

Offline brewmichigan

• Brewer
« Reply #22 on: July 03, 2012, 11:45:07 am »
Denny or Drew, would you mind posting some info on how a site is chosen and what criteria it has to meet to even be considered. Just curious when the process starts and what is involved.
Mike --- Flint, Michigan

Online denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
NHC 2014?
« Reply #23 on: July 03, 2012, 11:57:51 am »
The process starts a couple years in advance of a conference when a local club puts together a "bid" (non financial) to have the conference at their location.  They submit info on their ability to pull off final round judging, suitable locations, and volunteer resources available other things.  There's an online Google doc describing the process, but I don't have the link available on my iPad.  If someone doesn't post it, I will later.

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline dbeechum

• Global Moderator
  • I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Pasadena, CA
    • Experimental Brewing
« Reply #24 on: July 03, 2012, 12:09:44 pm »
Here's the basic document:
http://ahaclubs.homebrewersassociation.org/NHCplanningguide

Usually two folks spearhead the bidding process, build a consortium of nutty individuals to handle different efforts and then work with Gary and Kate at the AHA to really put the polish on something. For instance, the conference in SD was put together by folks from at least 4 different clubs from SD to LA. Lots of time and energy.

Big problems for the conference right now is our growth is impacting locations we can go to. Does your area have a hotel complex that can host 2000-2500 people?

There are changes that coming down the pike where more of the mundane tasks will be handled by a core group from year to year that works with the local group to ensure a smooth conference. For instance, this year was the first time we had a paid Beer Services team to handle moving kegs in and out of the cellar and deliveries to where the kegs were needed. This was by far and away the biggest change that needed to happen because man, cellar sucks and it's a huge burden to ask a couple of local folks to give up their shot at the conference to do that task.
Drew Beechum - Maltosefalcons.com
- Vote in the AHA GC Election! - http://bit.ly/1aV9GVd  -
-----
Burbling:
Gnome is in the Details
*Experimental Brewing - The Book*
Tap:
Peanut Butter Jelly Time
Tupelo Mead
Farmhouse Brett Saison

Offline brewmichigan

• Brewer
« Reply #25 on: July 03, 2012, 01:30:25 pm »
Thanks Denny and Drew.

The thing I worry about it this event is becoming so big that only a handful of cities in the US can really support that many people for an event. When you also take into account that of the cities that can host an event like this, how many of them are "craft beer-centric"? Seattle and San Diego were great because they are great beer cities and have the support from multiple homebrew clubs. I'm sure Utah won't be in the mix for awhile  :D
Mike --- Flint, Michigan

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #26 on: July 03, 2012, 02:02:33 pm »
There's so many tasks that come into play when organizing a conference that will accomodate 2500 people for several days.  Each city and state have their own local laws that pertain. I know that the AHA has become more and more involved with Pro-brewers night, as it's just easier for them to do in most cases.  It's a balancing act that Gary and company have learned so well. 

As Drew has pointed out the AHA's growth as well as the popularity of NHC have comlicated matters with regards to accomodationing the amount of folks necessary to meet the demand. It's becoming more and more difficult to host a conference without moving up to the next size venue which then poses a whole new set of issues and concerns not to mention cost.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2012, 08:54:11 pm by bluesman »
Ron Price

Offline bonjour

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Troy, MI, 37mi, 60.9deg AR
« Reply #27 on: July 03, 2012, 08:41:04 pm »
Big problems for the conference right now is our growth is impacting locations we can go to. Does your area have a hotel complex that can host 2000-2500 people?
2000-3000+
Proximity of hotels is also a consideration.  2 to 3000 homebrewers, essentially an unlimited supply of beer,  drink up then "Drive" to your hotel room?   I don't think so.
 and as Drew said
Usually two folks spearhead the bidding process, build a consortium of nutty individuals to handle different efforts and then work with Gary and Kate at the AHA to really put the polish on something. For instance, the conference in SD was put together by folks from at least 4 different clubs from SD to LA. Lots of time and energy.
Fred Bonjour
Co-Chair Mashing in Michigan 2014 AHA Conference in Grand Rapids, Michigan
AHA Governing Committee; AHA Conference, Club Support & Web Subcommittees

Everything under 1.100 is a 'session' beer ;)

Online denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #28 on: July 04, 2012, 09:55:29 am »
Thanks Denny and Drew.

The thing I worry about it this event is becoming so big that only a handful of cities in the US can really support that many people for an event. When you also take into account that of the cities that can host an event like this, how many of them are "craft beer-centric"? Seattle and San Diego were great because they are great beer cities and have the support from multiple homebrew clubs. I'm sure Utah won't be in the mix for awhile  :D

That's definitely an issue we've discussed, Mike.  I wish I could say we have a good answer, but at this point we're searching for a solution.  There's been talk of multiple conferences spread around the country, but that's completely unworkable from a staff power and cost standpoint.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline Hokerer

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Manassas, VA
« Reply #29 on: July 04, 2012, 03:02:32 pm »
Ohh ohh I know... but I can't tell... they might throw me in the river.

Hmm, throw you in the river?  N'awlins would be a rockin' NHC location
Joe