Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Fermentation... box?  (Read 1795 times)

Offline madscientist

• Brewer
Fermentation... box?
« on: June 26, 2012, 02:48:39 pm »
So I snagged a box from work designed for shipping cold materials.  I removed the foam lining, which is coated in some sort of foil/reflective material and was able to construct a 14 x 14 x 14 box (roughly the size of a milk crate).  It fits a fermenting bucket perfectly, with some room to spare on the sides.   About 1/4 of the bucket sticks out the top. 

My question is what can I do to utilize this as a fermentation chamber?  My thought is a few water bottles on the sides, but I also have a fan or two from a computer that I am thinking of hooking up to keep the air flowing.  I apologize I have a lack of pics, I did this on the fly after brewing yesterday and I think I can make it work. 
Thoughts?
Homebrewed since 2010

Offline weithman5

• Senior Brewmaster
  • naperville, il
Re: Fermentation... box?
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2012, 03:14:58 pm »
i use a large cooler used for shipping vaccines.  along with these vaccines are foam ice packs.  i have collected dozens of these over the years.  i put the bucket in and stack these foam packs around it.  I can maintain temperature at 50 degrees (i brew lagers) i my garage even at 90 degree outdoor temps.  i vary the number based on the temp.  i switch some in and out every morning or so.
Don AHA member