Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: My city is burning...  (Read 23678 times)

Offline jamminbrew

• Brewmaster
  • theAntipunk
My city is burning...
« on: June 26, 2012, 07:48:24 pm »
Pics taken not 2 miles from my house...
There is ash in the air, looks like it is snowing. The smell of woodsmoke is overpowering. And today was the hottest day EVER in Colorado Springs' history...
The worst part, is this is the work of an arsonist. over 30 fires have been started in our area in the last 2 weeks...
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=3378702706431&set=p.3378702706431&type=1&ref=nf
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=3799539859649&set=p.3799539859649&type=1&ref=nf
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=4098593705196&set=a.2653821306789.2148907.1293491647&type=1&ref=nf
« Last Edit: June 27, 2012, 11:01:31 pm by theantipunk »
In caelo cerivisiae nil, hic igitur bibimus.

Offline jamminbrew

• Brewmaster
  • theAntipunk
Re: My city is burning...
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2012, 08:00:31 pm »
The third pic was taken a half mile from where my lady works... she was evacuated.

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2012, 08:03:45 pm »
Wow..that is a terrible situation.  I flew over Fort Collins coming home from NHC in Seattle the other day, and the plane had flown through some of the smoke.  We could actually smell the smoke inside the plane. I wish the best for you. Be safe.
Ron Price

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2012, 08:45:14 pm »
indeed be safe! wildfires are scary. and the ocean is damp.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline phunhog

• Brewer
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2012, 09:17:15 pm »
As a professional firefighter for the past 23 years, with a big chunk of it fighting wildland fires, I feel for you.  The only thing that is going to stop that fire is a weather change i.e. rain....or at least cooler weather with some humidity. If you know anyone in the evacuation zone tell them to get out and stay out. One of the worst things we have to deal with is civilians getting in the way and causing more harm than good.

Offline thebigbaker

• Brewmaster
  • Denver, CO
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2012, 09:38:51 pm »
Praying for everyone's safety.  I live in SE Centennial and can smell the smoke from the fire.
Jeremy Baker

"An escalator can never break: it can only become stairs. You should never see an Escalator Temporarily Out Of Order sign, just Escalator Temporarily Stairs. Sorry for the convenience." - Mitch Hedberg

Offline jamminbrew

• Brewmaster
  • theAntipunk
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2012, 09:59:34 pm »

A pic I just took, at the high school a mile from my house.  All the bright spots are people's homes... It's crazy how fast this fire moved, and how far into the city it has come. 45,000 people are evacuated right now. Surreal.  I am safe, I'm far enough away. But many of my friends are being evacuated, or have been already. Just unreal. 
« Last Edit: June 27, 2012, 10:57:57 pm by theantipunk »

Offline thebigbaker

• Brewmaster
  • Denver, CO
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2012, 10:04:22 pm »
This run of 100+ degree weather we are having isn't helping and we've got some gusty winds up here. 
Jeremy Baker

"An escalator can never break: it can only become stairs. You should never see an Escalator Temporarily Out Of Order sign, just Escalator Temporarily Stairs. Sorry for the convenience." - Mitch Hedberg

Offline thebigbaker

• Brewmaster
  • Denver, CO
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2012, 10:06:49 pm »
Link to live video of a subdivision burning in N. Colorado Springs.

http://www.briargatemedia.com/blank%20page
Jeremy Baker

Offline loopy

• Brewer
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2012, 10:11:13 pm »
I feel for you. 

I lived in Colorado Springs for several years, on Academy in the NW area and worked off Garden of Gods at the Agilent campus for years.  I loved the area, and to be honest had the dot com collapse and mci self destruction been kinder to my industry I would very much likely still live there. 

It breaks my heart to see these pictures as I recognize multiple landmarks. 

Last year in Texas I saw the same wildfire fear, as my own place in the country was 3 miles from devastation but luckily spared.  I wish you the same luck. 

Offline loopy

• Brewer
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2012, 10:15:53 pm »

is that from chapel hills mall?  kinda looks like it. 

Offline jamminbrew

• Brewmaster
  • theAntipunk
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2012, 10:17:51 pm »
Yes, from the parking structure next to Dillard's.

Offline boulderbrewer

• Brewmaster
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2012, 10:22:59 pm »
Man I got pissed when the neighbors burned garbage and burned half of the swamp between us. That doesn't compare to what is happening out by you. I hope you guys get rain right away.

Offline loopy

• Brewer
« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2012, 10:25:37 pm »
I know exactly where that is, I bought tickets to ozzfest for me and my wifes anniversary there at the ticketmaster in that mall.  I'm sending prayers for you guys, I wish I could do more. 

I cannot tell from the picture, but it looks like the Briargate area is in danger, and perhaps the air force academy if I recall correctly.  Can you advise if the Broadmoor hotel area is ok?  I have some family that way and have not heard from them.  Looking at the picture and from memory, I think it's a bit south (or "left" in the picture), but I would welcome any information if you you have. 

What a nightmare. 

Offline jamminbrew

• Brewmaster
  • theAntipunk
« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2012, 10:32:46 pm »
I know exactly where that is, I bought tickets to ozzfest for me and my wifes anniversary there at the ticketmaster in that mall.  I'm sending prayers for you guys, I wish I could do more. 

I cannot tell from the picture, but it looks like the Briargate area is in danger, and perhaps the air force academy if I recall correctly.  Can you advise if the Broadmoor hotel area is ok?  I have some family that way and have not heard from them.  Looking at the picture and from memory, I think it's a bit south (or "left" in the picture), but I would welcome any information if you you have. 

What a nightmare.
As of right now, the whole northwest quadrant of the city is under mandatory evac.  Everything north of Fillmore/Fontmore and west of I-25 is under mandatory evacuation, including Air Force Academy. I live in Briargate, but so far we are far enough away as to be safe.
To those of you who don't know Colorado Springs, this is not a small town. We have 350,000 residents, and 700,000 people in the county. This is one hell of a dangerous fire. They are saying on the TV that 20,000 homes are in direct danger right now.