Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: My city is burning...  (Read 23707 times)

Offline redbeerman

• Senior Brewmaster
  • On the banks of the mighty Susquehanna in MD
Re: My city is burning...
« Reply #15 on: June 27, 2012, 06:20:39 am »
Our prayers are with you, brother.  That is horrible!  I lived in the Boulder-Longmont area for five years back in the late 70's - early 80's and though it was in a drought then, we never saw anything like this.
CH3CH2OH - Without it, life itself would be impossible.

[441, 112.1deg] AR

Jim

Offline corkybstewart

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #16 on: June 27, 2012, 08:32:52 am »
This year's fire season is already probably the worst ever in Colorado and New Mexico.  And with the 4th of July approaching we're about to see a massive conflagration as numbnuts all over the Southwest refuse to give up their Constitutionally guaranteed right to shoot whatever fireworks they can get their hands on. 
I've always wondered how bad it would be if a wildland fire got into a populated area, now I know.  This is a really horrible situation for everybody in Colorado Springs.  Let's just hope there isn't loss of life with this.
Life is wonderful in sunny White Signal New Mexico

Offline Mark G

• Brewmaster
  • Huntley, IL
« Reply #17 on: June 27, 2012, 09:40:19 am »
Wow, that's some scary s***. Stay safe out there.
Mark Gres

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #18 on: June 27, 2012, 05:10:58 pm »
Just terrible. Stay safe.

Offline dbeechum

• Global Moderator
  • I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Pasadena, CA
    • Experimental Brewing
« Reply #19 on: June 27, 2012, 05:15:40 pm »
This year's fire season is already probably the worst ever in Colorado and New Mexico.

Given how mild the winter was here in SoCal and the relative paucity of rain, I'm just waiting for the hills to go *fwoomp*
Drew Beechum - Maltosefalcons.com
- Vote in the AHA GC Election! - http://bit.ly/1aV9GVd  -
-----
Burbling:
Gnome is in the Details
*Experimental Brewing - The Book*
Tap:
Peanut Butter Jelly Time
Tupelo Mead
Farmhouse Brett Saison

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #20 on: June 27, 2012, 10:00:52 pm »
My thoughts are with you guys. My two brothers-in-law live just across the highway from the Air Force Academy. Colorado Springs is one of my all-time favorite places to visit. I hope things fizzle out soon. Stay safe!
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline jamminbrew

• Brewmaster
  • theAntipunk
« Reply #21 on: June 27, 2012, 10:52:09 pm »

Air Force Academy Stadium...
In caelo cerivisiae nil, hic igitur bibimus.

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #22 on: June 27, 2012, 11:39:44 pm »
Ouch. The pics really bring it home.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline jamminbrew

• Brewmaster
  • theAntipunk
« Reply #23 on: June 28, 2012, 07:46:08 pm »
Quick update: Today was a much better day, cooler temps, more humidity, and no wind.  The officials here released a preliminary report of the number of homes destroyed. 346. Destroyed. No count on damaged or uninhabitable homes, though. And most importantly, so far, no loss of life, no injuries. A big thanks to all the firefighters and volunteers who helped to save countless other homes, and lives.
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=474657749228208&set=a.303634572997194.88351.100000519604903&type=1&ref=nf

Offline csu007

• Brewer
  • Littleton, CO
« Reply #24 on: June 28, 2012, 10:12:57 pm »
This link sums up the summer so far for fires in Colorado.
Between three "bigger" fires so far (Fort Collins, Roxbourgh, and Colorado Springs there have been close to 600 homes lost and 4 deaths) this summer is already surpassing the worst fire season in Colorado.
http://denver.cbslocal.com/2012/06/24/at-least-10-wildfires-now-active-in-colorado/
“Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drank, I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes and dreams. If I didn’t drink this beer, they might be out of work and their dreams would be shattered. Then I say to myself, “It is better that I drink this beer and let their dreams come true than be selfish and worry about my liver.

Offline csu007

• Brewer
  • Littleton, CO
« Reply #25 on: June 28, 2012, 11:14:39 pm »
sad update one person has now died, bring the total deaths from fires this year so far to 5.
“Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drank, I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes and dreams. If I didn’t drink this beer, they might be out of work and their dreams would be shattered. Then I say to myself, “It is better that I drink this beer and let their dreams come true than be selfish and worry about my liver.

Offline jamminbrew

• Brewmaster
  • theAntipunk
« Reply #26 on: June 29, 2012, 10:20:01 pm »
2 people confirmed dead in this fire so far... But better conditions today. 25% contained. I am watching flames and flare-ups on the mountain now. Still a lot of hot spots. Smoke was a lot better today.  Not out of danger yet, but things are better. Most destructive fire in Colorado history.  347 homes destroyed in just a couple of hours. Whole neighborhoods just gone. Watching the news, and seeing video of the burn areas, is sobering. Entire streets and cul-de-sacs are just erased. Historic areas of town are just gone.
Thank you all for the well-wishes. Take a moment and think of the people who lost everything.

Offline jamminbrew

• Brewmaster
  • theAntipunk
« Reply #27 on: June 29, 2012, 10:36:15 pm »

Fleeing the fire, Tuesday afternoon, June 26th

Hours after the fire swept through a neighborhood

Thank you to all firefighters, no matter where you are.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2012, 10:54:18 pm by theantipunk »

Offline weazletoe

• Brewmaster General
  • Howland, Ohio
« Reply #28 on: June 29, 2012, 10:44:33 pm »
Well that certainly makes my little thousand acre blaze look like a camp fire. You're in my thoughts.
Quick update on the Pocatello fire....as of noon today, 66 homes and 29 structures gone.
A man works hard all week, so he doesn't have to wear pants all weekend.

Offline jamminbrew

• Brewmaster
  • theAntipunk
« Reply #29 on: June 29, 2012, 10:52:50 pm »
Well that certainly makes my little thousand acre blaze look like a camp fire. You're in my thoughts.
Quick update on the Pocatello fire....as of noon today, 66 homes and 29 structures gone.
1 acre or 10,000 acres, if it burns your home or something you you cherish, it's a major deal. I hope all is well with you, Weaze.