Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Wheat Yeast Strain with the Most Banana Flavor?  (Read 14344 times)

Offline wamille

• Assistant Brewer
Wheat Yeast Strain with the Most Banana Flavor?
« on: June 26, 2012, 11:17:54 pm »
I'm not much of a wheat beer guy.  However, I'm thinking about making one.  Any ideas as to what wheat yeast strain produces the most banana flavors with minimal cloviness?

Offline dee

• Cellarman
Re: Wheat Yeast Strain with the Most Banana Flavor?
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2012, 05:15:29 am »
I'd use WLP300 or WY3068 and ferment at or above 68 degrees for more banana and restrained clove.   

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2012, 11:16:34 am »
Agree, thoise two strains will produce the most banana type esters. You probably want to start fermentation off around 64 degrees and then raise it to 68 around day # 3 to get the most banana esters while keeping it clean.

Offline mripa

• 1st Kit
  • Beer
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2012, 08:01:55 pm »
I brew with YEAST STRAIN: 3068  |  Weihenstephan Weizen™ all the time - keep the ferm temp up and you will be in banana heaven.

Offline hoser

• Brewmaster
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2012, 08:15:32 pm »
I prefer the clove over the banana in my German wheats, but that is just my preference.  I don't think the yeast selection matters as much as the fermentation temps and pitching rate.  Ferment in the low 60's for clove, mid to high 60's for banana and bubblegum.  Large pitches=less growth and less phenols/esters.  Small pitches=more yeast growth and ester/phenol production.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2012, 08:56:19 pm »
FWIW, I'm a huge fan of WY3638 (Bavarian Wheat), but I like it because of the spice notes. I generally pitch one smack pack directly (no starter) to a ~1.055 wort and ferment at 65F. This gives a great balance between banana and spicy phenolics. Clove is there, but it has this great sweet spice undertone of cinnamon/cardamom/vanilla that is just so damn tasty. If you hit the balance just right it's like banana bread with a hint of spice.

The highest I've gone on the ferm temp with the 3638 was 68F. It lost some of the phenolics, but it still wasn't the banana bomb that Weihenstephan can be.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline kylekohlmorgen

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Saint Louis, MO
    • The South House Pilot Brewery
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2012, 07:57:03 am »
Michael Elder (a professor at Doemens Academy) wrote a GREAT article for Zymurgy on maximizing banana flavor in your wheat beer.

It was in the May/June 2010 issue. Take a look!

http://digital.ipcprintservices.com/publication/?i=108747
Twitter/Instagram: @southhousebrew

Recipes, Brett/Bacteria Experiments: http://SouthHouseBeer.com/