Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Rosemary Dry hopping  (Read 8398 times)

Offline Pi

• Brewer
  • "I would never trade tomorrow for today"
Rosemary Dry hopping
« on: June 27, 2012, 07:35:27 am »
I am planning on using about 1/2oz. in the secondary after fermentation is just about done . Is there a concern about contamination, or is the Ph low enough at this point in the game?
Primary:On Reflection APA
Lagering: Vienna
Drinking: Whenever I'm not working or driving

Offline kylekohlmorgen

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Saint Louis, MO
    • The South House Pilot Brewery
Re: Rosemary Dry hopping
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2012, 07:48:01 am »
No worries about contamination.

I would taste it often, though. Rosemary can get very strong very quickly!

I love the idea, though - I've had a few commercial beers with Rosemary and I'd like to try some in my IPA recipe.

What is the beer its going into?
Twitter/Instagram: @southhousebrew

Recipes, Brett/Bacteria Experiments: http://SouthHouseBeer.com/

Offline Pi

• Brewer
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2012, 10:56:07 am »
Charlie P's Delerium Oat Rosemary IPA. Zymurgy Jan/Feb 2012. I was walking around our herb garden with a homebrew last month and pinched off some rosemary and waved it around while tasting my pale ale. Seemed interesting, then i found this recipe and decided to give it a try. I'll let you know haw it turns out.

Offline hubie

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2012, 07:42:12 am »
I'm interested how it turns out.  Rosemary seems so similar to spruce tips that I wonder whether they should be used in a similar manner.  I recall that Gordon Strong had a nice page on how to use spruce tips (advice which he got from someone else) in his Brewing Better Beer book.  Unfortunately I don't have access to my copy at the moment to look it up, but I think they are best used in the boil like hops.  I wonder if it would be the same with rosemary?

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2012, 01:41:26 am »
I think rosemary and spruce tips are radically different.  Rosemary is so much stronger, I would use way way less and at most put it in at the end of the boil.  Spruce tips are really very mild, and need to be boiled for about an hour to get the nice citrusy flavor out of them.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline Pi

• Brewer
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2012, 02:04:15 pm »
Charlie P's Delerium Oat Rosemary IPA. Zymurgy Jan/Feb 2012. I was walking around our herb garden with a homebrew last month and pinched off some rosemary and waved it around while tasting my pale ale. Seemed interesting, then i found this recipe and decided to give it a try. I'll let you know haw it turns out.
Well after dry hopping for about a week (after fermentation) I kegged. It is wonderful! The oatmeal gave it plenty of body and maltiness, while the hops seem to dominate. the Rosemary is there in the aroma and lingers through the finish but isnt all in your face. I cant wait to taste this after I carb. I bet this beer will pair well with grilled chicken Yum!

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2012, 07:05:48 pm »
Wow!  Good on ya!
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline ukolowiczd

• Assistant Brewer
  • Burlington, VT
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2012, 08:21:55 pm »
Great idea. Love to hear to the results!