Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Vanilla Beans  (Read 14238 times)

Offline hmbrewing

• Cellarman
Vanilla Beans
« on: June 27, 2012, 10:43:37 am »
Greetings! I'll be brewing Mr. Denny Conns Bourbon Vanilla Imperial Porter this weekend for a festival in October. I plan on adding the vanilla beans after primary fermentation is complete, but was thinking of adding them right to the primary bucket. Just looking to eliminate the step of transferring into a carboy. Any thoughts on this?
I brew beer, I drink beer...it really is that simple

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Vanilla Beans
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2012, 10:54:16 am »
Should be OK, although I wouldn't recommend leaving it in the bucket for more than 4-5 weeks total.  I have to admit, though, that this is one of the few circumstances where I use a secondary.  Probably OK without it, but old habits die hard.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Pinski

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Portland, Oregon
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2012, 10:54:48 am »
I wouldn't do it as you suggest.  I think that active fermentation would dissipate most of the vanilla character you're hoping to capture and the beans would be mired down in the trub and yeast.

I had a very tasty version of the BVIP at NHC that i made using a tincture for the vanillla. Take two beans (per 5 gallons), split, scrape, quarter and place in 60 ml of vodka. Cover with cellophane and a rubber band and let set in a dark cupboard at room temp for a week.  Rack your beer to a secondary on top of the vanilla tincture vodka, beans, gunk and all. Ferment another week or two depending on how strong you like the flavors.  Good luck and enjoy, you won't regret trying this brew.
Steve Carper
Green Dragon Brewers
Clubs: Oregon Brew Crew & Strange Brew
BJCP Certified

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2012, 10:57:55 am »
I wouldn't do it as you suggest.  I think that active fermentation would dissipate most of the vanilla character you're hoping to capture and the beans would be mired down in the trub and yeast.

I had a very tasty version of the BVIP at NHC that i made using a tincture for the vanillla. Take two beans (per 5 gallons), split, scrape, quarter and place in 60 ml of vodka. Cover with cellophane and a rubber band and let set in a dark cupboard at room temp for a week.  Rack your beer to a secondary on top of the vanilla tincture vodka, beans, gunk and all. Ferment another week or two depending on how strong you like the flavors.  Good luck and enjoy, you won't regret trying this brew.

IMO, too much effort for no gain.  Just put 'em in the fermenter.  Primary (after fermentation) or secondary (my preference).

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline hmbrewing

• Cellarman
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2012, 11:00:23 am »
Denny! Thanks so much for the quick reply...I think I'll just do the sure thing and transfer to secondary. Plus, if I decide to leave it a couple extra weeks then I won't have to worry about it sitting on the primary yeast cake to long. Can't wait to brew this and thanks again for the reply!
I brew beer, I drink beer...it really is that simple

Offline Pinski

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Portland, Oregon
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2012, 11:05:57 am »

IMO, too much effort for no gain.  Just put 'em in the fermenter.  Primary (after fermentation) or secondary (my preference).

Not to be argumentative, but it's really not that much effort to put the beans in a shot glass and pour a little vodka on them on brew day and set aside. I would say it may provide better vanilla extraction and also provide some degree of protection from infection from the beans.  That's some gain IMHO.
Steve Carper
Green Dragon Brewers
BJCP Certified

Offline thebigbaker

• Brewmaster
  • Denver, CO
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2012, 11:30:34 am »

Not to be argumentative, but it's really not that much effort to put the beans in a shot glass and pour a little vodka on them on brew day and set aside. I would say it may provide better vanilla extraction and also provide some degree of protection from infection from the beans.  That's some gain IMHO.

I've done a couple of beers w/ vanilla beans and I do as Denny does w/ his and that is to scrape them out, chop the pods up and toss it all in.  I could be wrong, but the chance of infection is very small if you ad after active fermentation.  From what I gather from others, fermentation changes the pH and the alcohol produced helps thwart infection.  My basic vanilla porters came out great w/out any signs of infection.  I didn't use a secondary fermenter w/ this 1.052 beer.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2012, 11:32:43 am by thebigbaker »
Jeremy Baker

"An escalator can never break: it can only become stairs. You should never see an Escalator Temporarily Out Of Order sign, just Escalator Temporarily Stairs. Sorry for the convenience." - Mitch Hedberg

Offline dannyjed

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Toledo, OH
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2012, 11:58:55 am »
I do like Pinski, but I soak the beans in Maker's Mark for a week then add it all to the beer a week or so before packaging.
Dan Chisholm

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2012, 12:06:21 pm »

If you like it, do it.  I tried it and found no benefits myself.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline corkybstewart

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2012, 01:32:11 pm »
I do like Pinski, but I soak the beans in Maker's Mark for a week then add it all to the beer a week or so before packaging.
I do it this way too, but I put the beans in the bourbon the day I brew the beer and pour just the liquid into the keg when the beer is racking from the fermentor.
Life is wonderful in sunny White Signal New Mexico

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2012, 11:11:24 pm »
I could go either way on this one.  There is variability among vanilla beans, and doing it as a tincture lets you add to taste.  On the other hand, I know Denny uses really nice flavorful beans so it's not like you should get too much flavor doing it his way no matter what beans you use.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2012, 09:25:18 am »
While we're discussing it, the best beans I've ever found are from....

http://www.hawaiianvanilla.com/

www.dennybrew.com

Offline Pinski

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Portland, Oregon
« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2012, 09:36:09 am »
Thanks for the link Denny, I'll definitely give their products a try.  I'm of the type that has a very high preference/tolerance for vanilla. 
Steve Carper
Green Dragon Brewers
BJCP Certified

Offline John M

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2024, 12:55:50 pm »
I'm about to use vanilla beans in a stout. I just want to make sure I understand correctly- you scrape the "caviar" and add it as well, correct? I guess you're scraping it to make sure it's fully exposed?
Don't judge a beer by it's cover.

BJCP "Recognized" - Aspiring to Certified
Ohio Valley Homebrewers Association
Favorite Styles- German Lagers & Ales, Belgians of all kinds, Adjunct Stouts, SHV Beers, Barleywines/Old Ales

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2024, 02:06:41 pm »
I'm about to use vanilla beans in a stout. I just want to make sure I understand correctly- you scrape the "caviar" and add it as well, correct? I guess you're scraping it to make sure it's fully exposed?

correct on both

www.dennybrew.com